cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I update a Canon lens firmware that I am using with an adapter ?

mangurian
Rising Star

- Can I update firmware in a non EF-M Canon lens  that uses an adapter on my EOS-M100 ?

Thanks,

9 REPLIES 9

Tim
Authority

Hello mangurian, 

At this time there are no functions built into the camera that will support firmware for non-Canon lenses.  I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

Hello mangurian, 

At this time there are no functions built into the camera that will support firmware for non-Canon lenses.  I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. 

Who said anything about non-Canon lenses?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

This might be a clue.

"...non EF-M Canon lens..." or should it be "...non EF-M, Canon lens..."  Ambiguous at least.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It is an EF-S Canon lens attached to an EOS M100 using an adapter with electronic pass-through. 

( andcolor black) Man Wink

"Can I update firmware ..."

No Canon lens, I know of, is user FW updateable.  What exactly is the problem that makes you think it isn't working right?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Can I update firmware ..."

No Canon lens, I know of, is user FW updateable.  What exactly is the problem that makes you think it isn't working right?

I don't think that's true, Ernie. Canon has added lens firmware update capability to some of their higher-end cameras (maybe even your 1DX2!), and I doubt they'd have done that if none of their lenses could be updated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If that is a possibility I still have to repeat my original statement, "No Canon lens, I know of, is user FW updateable."

It would almost certainly have to be a newer lens than I have. Perhaps the 70-200mil model 3.

EB

I know of someone who update firmware in a  200-400L lens.

Some of the most recently released lenses can be upgraded by the user by using the camera.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/New-Firmware-available-for-three-Canon-Lenses/m-p/2...

That is an announcement for a firmware update for a couple of EF-M series lenses.  Many of the “great whites” can be upgraded by the user, too.  Other lens manufacturers offer the feature, so I cannot see Canon not following suit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements