cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera choice using the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens

busyretired
Contributor

Hello, all:

I do a lot of commercial building photography, now ready to buy a 24 mm tilt-shift lens.

Picture quality, detail and color are important.

I'm not adverse to spending more on a camera body (to a point) to obtain performance improvement.

I want a body that doesn't impede the T-S lens function in any way. Does that eliminate the built in flash bodies?

I'd appreciate any input on the best value point in a new Canon body, especially from 24mm TS-E users.

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What body do you have now?

Been using the G7X for the last two years, has been quite good with RAW/JPEG dual output.

I'm now ready for a new DSLR or mirrorless body and the tilt/shift lens.

If you are doing real estate photography I am assuming that wide angle view is important to you. If so you would want to be looking at a 6D or 5D series camera. 

A Rebel or XXD camera are crop sensor cameras so that the 24mmmTS is going to have a field of view comparable to a 37mm lens on a full frame camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks so much for the input, jrhoffman75.

Which model has the largest image circle?

I'd like to be able to use max tilt and/or shift without image cutoff.

I didn't see image circle info on Canon website but might have missed it among all the data.

Both the 6D and the 5D are full frame cameras. Difference is the features. You can go to the Canon site or call Canon at 1-800-OK- CANON for buying advice. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It appears the image circle diameter for the 24mm TS-E II lens is 67.2 mm.

I'm trying to understand if lens image circle size is reduced when used on certain cameras.

As a last resort I can call the 800 number but would like to understand this more clearly before calling.

"Both the 6D and the 5D are full frame cameras. Difference is the features"

Features and the build.  You want the 5D Mk IV, no question it is the best choice for a working person. The 5 series are built better than the 6 series.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The image circle is a function of the lens. The camera doesn’t affect it. Some non-full frame design lenses have an image circle that doesn’t cover a full frame sensor.

All EF lenses will cover a full frame sensor when centered. I do not know if, at full shift, a TS lens will still cover the far side of the sensor. Canon could tell you that.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you sir, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the EOS R but will see what Canon says.

I appreciate your quick responses today.

Announcements