Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Camera bag/back pack for Canon 300mm F2.8 IS lens

The only time I change glass at an event is sometimes I will use a different lens setup when I am shooting some pregame stuff (warmup, players reactions, etc.) where a shorter glass pair works well but I will have the regular setup in place and checked long before start of competition.  My game setup for football and soccer once the game starts is a 400 f2.8 on the main body and a 70-200 f2.8 on the second.  I do keep spare stuff (1DX body and alternate glass) in a large Pelican waterproof case because stuff can fail unexpectedly. 

If you are changing glass during a typical sports event, you didn't have the right setup to start.  And it isn't a great environment to be fooling around with changing glass because at least one of your cameras is going to be attached to the photographer via the lens and not the camera given the weight/size of anything fast and long.  I was at a high school playoff last year and saw a photographer drop a large Nikon DSLR to the ground when he dismounted the lens and held onto the lens which was attached to his dual camera harness, the body itself wasn't.  A lot can happen when making changes in a hurry under pressure and most of them are bad Smiley Sad

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
VIP

There is a big difference between people that read about it and the ones that actually do it.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Just got back from the field. Let just say, changing the lens was the least of my problems! Dealing with the pressure from the wife to hurry with every single composition was a nightmare!

The bag I bought was adequate, that said, I would say having a second body would definitely help. Changing lenses between shots and scenes was not ideal, to say the least.

I would say going forward, I would consider a second body, which dares I ask for advice, what body should I be getting next? I am shooting with a 5Ds right now. I am contemplating going mirrorless. I heard Sony A7r iv is extremely versatile. What about the so call EOS R5 or whatever it is? Is it suitable for sport or wildlife photography?

Thanks.

Highlighted
VIP

"Dealing with the pressure from the wife to hurry with every single composition was a nightmare!"  Smiley Very Happy

You have a 5DS?  Why not compliment it with a 5D Mk IV?  It will do everything, period. Smiley Happy And. no strange body which be be confusing in "pressure " circumstances. I suspect will continue.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Dealing with the pressure from the wife to hurry with every single composition was a nightmare!"  Smiley Very Happy

You have a 5DS?  Why not compliment it with a 5D Mk IV?  It will do everything, period. Smiley Happy And. no strange body which be be confusing in "pressure " circumstances. I suspect will continue.

As a 5D4 owner myself, I can't quarrel with Ernie's advice. It's a fine camera and would be a very sensible addition to your kit. But if your're contemplating going mirrorless, you might want to consider the new R6. With either of its two adapters, it would accept all of your current EF lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a Think Tank Glass Taxi, and a Glass Limo, for packing large tele lenses. These are very well-made.

A 5D IV is an ideal companion camera, for a 5Ds or 5Ds R. I use a "team" of 7D II, 5Ds R, and 5D IV cameras. The near-identical ergonomics and controls are quite nice.

I married a woman who was/is a photographer. She never rushes me, when I am trying to compose an image. Smiley Wink