cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera bag/back pack for Canon 300mm F2.8 IS lens

limvo05
Rising Star

Now that I bought the 300mm F2.8 IS lens. I found myself a situation where it doesn't fit in my current Lowepro camera backpack. I was wondering if any has to do deal with such, and what would be your recommendation for such a bag that would allow me to carry my other gears and essential items for backpacking trips?

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26

In the end, I bought the backpack from incase.  The DSLR Pro was able to provide adequate storage space for both lenses, 1 body, and a few nick-nacks, plus space for other personal things like a sweater, and smaller items.

The overall design was good, that said, it is a touch smaller than I would have liked. I've tried other brands and some are extremely big to be carried around for long hike. Plus, the price for the incase bag is not as high as those like from F-Stop or Peak Design.

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas.

@limvo05 wrote:

In the end, I bought the backpack from incase.  The DSLR Pro was able to provide adequate storage space for both lenses, 1 body, and a few nick-nacks, plus space for other personal things like a sweater, and smaller items.

The overall design was good, that said, it is a touch smaller than I would have liked. I've tried other brands and some are extremely big to be carried around for long hike. Plus, the price for the incase bag is not as high as those like from F-Stop or Peak Design.

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas.

It appears to lack a rain cover.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That's correct, it's not exactly water proof!

@limvo05 wrote:

That's correct, it's not exactly water proof!

Rain covers are good for protection against dust and floating stuff, too.

If you can send it back for a refund, go to B&H.

"This black Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 450 AW II Backpack is a rugged bag that is designed to comfortably and securely carry your mobile photo studio while meeting the carry-on requirements for most international and US airlines. Its spacious main compartment features an adjustable partition system with 11 dividers that can fit a DSLR or mirrorless camera with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, a 300mm f/2.8 lens,"

Too late, I am hitting the road tomorrow 🙂

Fortier
Apprentice

As a sports photographer, getting your gear to the game is half the battle. Gripped bodies and long lenses are heavy, yet delicate, so you need well-protected mobile carrying solution McDVoice. And when you get to the game, you need to move quickly and change lenses easily. Think Tank offers carrying solutions designed specifically for sports mcdvoice

@Fortier wrote:
As a sports photographer, getting your gear to the game is half the battle. Gripped bodies and long lenses are heavy, yet delicate, so you need well-protected mobile carrying solution. And when you get to the game,theft you need to move quickly and change lenses easily. Think Tank offers carrying solutions designed specifically for sports.

Do sports photographers really change lenses during a game? I wouldn't think there would be time for that. When I was an event photographer covering awards ceremonies, lectures, City Council inaugurations, etc., I considered changing lenses to be pretty much out of the question. I'd carry two cameras whose lenses had adjoining or overlapping zoom ranges and use them throughout the event. I've always assumed that most sports were even more time-critical and would provide little or no opportunity for on-the-fly equipment changes beyond replacing batteries or memory cards.

The only demanding sporting event I recall covering was a boat race, Boston's Head of the Charles Regatta. It was physically demanding for an old geezer like me, but my usual two-camera setup was perfectly adequate to the task.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Fortier wrote:
As a sports photographer, getting your gear to the game is half the battle. Gripped bodies and long lenses are heavy, yet delicate, so you need well-protected mobile carrying solution. And when you get to the game,theft you need to move quickly and change lenses easily. Think Tank offers carrying solutions designed specifically for sports.

Do sports photographers really change lenses during a game? I wouldn't think there would be time for that. When I was an event photographer covering awards ceremonies, lectures, City Council inaugurations, etc., I considered changing lenses to be pretty much out of the question. I'd carry two cameras whose lenses had adjoining or overlapping zoom ranges and use them throughout the event. I've always assumed that most sports were even more time-critical and would provide little or no opportunity for on-the-fly equipment changes beyond replacing batteries or memory cards.

The only demanding sporting event I recall covering was a boat race, Boston's Head of the Charles Regatta. It was physically demanding for an old geezer like me, but my usual two-camera setup was perfectly adequate to the task.

My sport photographer buddies mostly shoot college football and basketball.  They change lenses, but not on the field.  They have a pair of bodies and lenses for use on the field, and a pair of wide/normal lenses for capturing the "non-action" shooting scenarios, like the after game locker shots and running on and off the field.

The biggest rush isn't chngsing lenses.  It is physically moving from Point A to Point B.

"Do sports photographers really change lenses during a game?"

None of the ones I know do. I am not a sports photographer but I have been pressed into service several times like the KC Corporate Challenge, high school, little league etc.  I always carried two or three 1 series bodies with the lenses I thought I needed. Even when I was shooting important social events I rarely changed a lens. Only when some unforeseen circumstance developed. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements