cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Lens Help

Masterpiece1x
Apprentice
Hi Guys,I just joined this group.
I really Would appreciate if you help me out in buying a Camera for my brother,He always want to buy a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 ii but cant afford it..I wanna give him as a gift although its expensive for me as well but he is a good brother So the Problem is that I have zero clue about camera's Im looking online used ones as they are a lil cheaper..I found one online for about 1400$ Aud and it says on box( Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is USM).
Is USM is same as ii?I dont know I dont wanna get tricked while buying Please assist in how to recognizing the right one
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Masterpiece1x wrote:
Yeah Exactly what you mentioned The EF one,Yeah i was just talking about lense,Thats a good advice to buy around that time..But the question I got is How would I know that the Delivered Canom is the EF 70-200 2.8 ii Usm....is there any marking on lens etc?

Yes, it will say it on the lens. And note that there are both an "IS" version and a non-IS version, depending on whether the lens has image stabilization (which tries to minimize the effect of camera shake) or not. Also note that the "L" in "f/2.8L" is important (although I don't believe there is a non-L version of the 70-200).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... but given the coating was the only major difference,..."

Don't under estimate that new coating.  I agree it isn't enough for me to jump on board, as of yet, but it is a good upgrade.  One of the main differences between the Siggy S and C 150-600mm zooms is the coating on the front element.  It is nothing short of amazing.  Ten times better than the C.  I hope Canon's new coating is just as amazing.

Sure, but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The OP is trying to find an affordable way to buy a new lens for his brother, and the f/2.8 IS II would fill the bill nicely. It would be almost silly not to take advantage of the price drop that will result (or is already resulting) from the imminent release of the IS III version.

LOL.  A high quality CLEAR lens filter might be able to make up for the lack of a state of the art coating on the front element.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"The OP is trying to find an affordable way to buy a new lens for his brother, ..."

Perhaps so, Robert but trying to minimize the new coating as less than a good feature to have was my meaning.  Canon would not put it on if it were not pretty good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Masterpiece1x wrote:
I really Would appreciate if you help me out in buying a Camera for my brother,He always want to buy a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 ii but cant afford it..I wanna give him as a gift although its expensive for me as well but he is a good brother So the Problem is that I have zero clue about camera's Im looking online used ones as they are a lil cheaper..I found one online for about 1400$ Aud and it says on box( Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is USM).
Is USM is same as ii?I dont know I dont wanna get tricked while buying Please assist in how to recognizing the right one

I think this fact is being overlooked.  I do not know what the exchange rate is.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Masterpiece1x wrote:

I suggest that you work with him, and help him buy a new one.  I would not buy an expensive used lens, sight unseen.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Masterpiece1x wrote:

I suggest that you work with him, and help him buy a new one.  I would not buy an expensive used lens, sight unseen.

Except from the Canon online store. As I understand it, they give a warranty that's similar to that of a new lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements