cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam I use a newer EF lens with a Rebel that uses EF S lenses

carolyn
Contributor

I have a Rebel T2i that came with EF S lenses - I want to buy a Canon 5d Mark II and am trying to find out if I can use the regular EF lenses used for the mark II on my old Rebel?  I know I can't use EF  S on the Mark II .I am trying to photograph birds and know I need a super telephoto lens I have the EF S 55-250 but need more  - hope since I plan to get the markII that I can get a lens that will work on both cams for now. I have been told that using a super telephoto lens on the mark II or a full frame camera  is counter productive .Do you all agree?  thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Thank you Ebiggs 1, I appreciate and your help to make what the others are saying even  clearer So it seems that getting a telephoto lens for the camera I already have would be the more practicle of all the options.  Btw do you or anyone know if the canon T2i can accept the little multipliers? I think there may be a 2x and a 4x s available.  Thanks also about the photoshop suggestion. I used photoshop many years ago - for some reason started using microsoft piture it 10 . I never really learned to use all there was in photoshop... is there a vast difference between it and the software I use? thanks again - appreciate your advice.

I'll post some in depth stuff tonight that should help you in several ways but for now I will say I checked all of your photos & I'll make some recommendations on how to get better ones with the lens you have, but I really think the Canon 100-400 L IS is the best choice (price & versatility & IQ) for your needs.

There are teleconverters (multipliers) in both a 1.4 X and 2 X version BUT you'll loose AF with that body / lens combo plus it looks like your images are soft now so they'll be even softer with ANY TC. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Because I don't know how familiar you are with your camera or how you've set it up for the nest se Ii'll use this photo as my start.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolynmue/8517053559/in/set-72157632883096221/

If you look at it you'll notice that the pole is pretty crisp so your lens seems relatively sharp & the page shows that you're using a nice high shutter speed so camera shake is a non issue. Now if we look at this photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolynmue/8517042777/in/set-72157632883096221/

nothing is that sharp. Is it a heavy crop? I suggest that using that photo as the ideal one to use to try setting your camera to Av mode & selecting f8 so you have some depth of field going for you, but check to see what shutter speed the camera picks (depends on the lighting that day) & adjust the ISO if needed to stay above 1/1000 & better yet if you can get 1/2000 all the better but you don't need more than that. Now for the important part, set the AF to the single center point  & using the photo as the example birders try to get the AF point on the eye and when they hava a steady hold on the eye they take the shot. You could however pre focus on the eye & then reframe before the final half presss needed to take the shot. If your camera's AF system is accurate that method produces the best image of the bird, which in this case is an Osprey but the idea is for any bird where you can use the eye as the focal point (plus the same applies for most animals). 

Now re birds in flight, you need to set the AF system to AI Servo, not 1 shot, but you can also leave it there for stationary shots (my cameras are almost always set to AI Servo). This allows the AF system to track & predict where a moving target is relative to you as it flies or runs etc. You also might want to try each metering mode when shooting against the sky because the bright sky is leaving the bird underexposed a bit. I run into the same problem shooting model aircraft & make many exposure compensation changes as the light keeps changing throughout the day. EC can be your friend but it may be a bit more difficult to change on a Rebel compared to the bodies with a big wheel on the back. Also switch to Tv mode for flying shots & stay above 1/1000 if you can. 

Back to the lens choices. The 400 f5.6 L is lighter than the 100-400 L IS but the IQ from both is so close that the versatility of the zoom makes it the better choice for most people. On a tripod both will be easy to use but hand held you'll need to really work on technique, and although panning takes a bit of practice I find it easier to get a sharp shot while panning than when shooting a stationary object. Expect a learning curve but the IS can be VERY helpful, but you need to remember how to use the mode 1-2 switch. 1 for stationary, 2 for panning side to side BUT off for panning up & down or sideways combined with considerable up / down.

You could also consider one of the current Sigma zooms like the 50-500 OS or 150-500 OS but their AF system isn't as fast as the 100-400 L & they don't hold their resale value very well. The 50-500 OS would be my choice between them but I'd plan on using it on a tripod most of the time.

Hope that helps.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

THANK YOU  You've given me a lot to think about and practice. I have just coied /pasted and printed and plan to go

tomorrow - will try your instructions step by step until it sinks in... again appreciate !!

I ordered the lens you suggested today (100=400)

PS   yes, the second photo you critiqued was a heavy crop -  most are - hoping my new lens will help lessen the need to do that as much.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Carolyn ,

Mr. cicopo has made some very important points. And I agree if you have the means, get the 100-400mm Canon zoom over any other. Old Chinese expression, “Buy the best and cry once.”

But a few points I can add are, if you do get a 1.4x or a 2x TC, you lose 1-stop and 2-stops respectively. So a f5-6 becomes a f8 and/or a f11. Another problem besides maybe losing auto focus is with the reduction in f-stops and there is no increase in DOF.

On post processing, there is no equal to full Photo Shop. It is expensive! But Photo Shop Elements, that I believe comes with the 2Ti free, is a good alternative, probably better than any MS software. Post is as important as the shot. Don't let anybody kid you on this.

Ernie

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Carolyn,

One more point, I forgot to mention is a good rule of thumb is to use the next higher reciprocal of the lens focal length. Otherwise, you are using a 400mm lens, the reciprocal is 1/400, so you should set a shutter speed higher than 1/500. The next closest, higher, shutter speed.

Of course all “rules of thumb” are just guesstimates. But it gives you and idea of where you probably need to be.

I am an avid bird photographer, too, so I know the challenges. One point which, may or may not have been mentioned, is get as close as you can. There is no substitute for being close and a big lens!

EB

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements