cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying the EF 400 f/2.8 IS III?

AlessioDidier
Apprentice

I don't own any "super tele" lens. I have the EF 70-200 f/2.8 III and a Canon 2x extender but I'm not that satisfied with the image quality and the depth of field with that combination.

Are there any people here owning this lens or are there other options with a 3:RD part. lens?

What i think is a deal breaker for me is the weight (approx 2,8kg) and the f/2.8 + IS. Have looked on the DO 400 lens but thats f/4 only and I don't know if it has IS.

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I own the IS II version of the 400 f2.8 and it is my favorite tele lens.  It is heavier than the version III but I shoot with it handheld for football and soccer.  With a 1DX series body, the lens balances quite well and it should be even easier with the lighter version III which should also have better balance.  A lot of people use a monopod with this lens but I shoot with two bodies and like the mobility and rapid change between bodies (typically the 400 f2.8 on a 1DX III and the 70-200 f2.8 on a 1DX II) that comes from using them with a dual camera harness without a monopod.

The 400 f2.8 produces beautiful images with very fast focus and for those situations where you need a little more reach and f4 is acceptable, it works very well with the 1.4X extender and still retains very fast focus and tracking ability.

I have never shot with the f4 DO lens, it is far lighter and less expensive but the "great white" telephotos are in a class by themselves.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What i think is a deal breaker for me is the weight (approx 2,8kg) and the f/2.8 + IS."

The twelve grand price tag is not a deal breaker?  I would certainly make darn sure this is the lens for me. You need way more than a casual, I think I want this lens. Now that's just me but perhaps you should rent one first.  Unless money is no object to you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 400 f4 DO indeed has IS.  It is also white in color.  I'm getting great images with it, incredibly sharp, and its reduced weight and size are a real plus. I don't find myself wishing I had a wider lens; the f4 is more than enough for the work I'm doing. 

Announcements