Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Buying an EOS RP soon and need lens recommendations please

Will be switching from the Sony a7ii over to the canon EOS RP pretty soon and need some lens recommendations. I shoot portraits mainly and some street/nature shots too. Also not a professional by any means.

Setup I was using before: Sony a7ii 50mm fe 1.8 28-70mm kit lens 24-240mm fe

Will probably pick up either just the body and adapter from Henry’s and then buy lenses separately or buy the 50mm bundle on amazon. Also I’m located in Canada if that makes any difference! Thanks for any suggestions!

VIP

Re: Buying an EOS RP soon and need lens recommendations please

“Any suggestions?”

Do not buy big ticket items on Amazon is my advice.  I know people who swear by them, though.  But, those people are buying clothes, not electronic gear with genuine factory warranties.

I think any RP camera package that includes the EF adapter with the control ring is the one to get.  There are three different EF lens adapters.  Get the one in the middle, with the control ring.

As for lenses, the best Canon glass has an “L” after the f/stop: i.e.; RF 50mm f/1.2L USM.  All of the RF lenses released so far have been professional grade L glass.  The adapter will allow you to use existing EF lenses.  Avoid the EF-S lenses, which are made for smaller APS-C sensor camera bodies, and will not physically mount on an full frame body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"Thanks for any suggestions!"

Yes I have a suggestion but you probably won't like it. Don't buy a EOS RP, buy a 6D Mk II instead.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
New Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

As for lenses, the best Canon glass has an “L” after the f/stop: i.e.; RF 50mm f/1.2L USM.  All of the RF lenses released so far have been professional grade L glass.  The adapter will allow you to use existing EF lenses.  Avoid the EF-S lenses, which are made for smaller APS-C sensor camera bodies, and will not physically mount on an full frame body.

There is one non-L RF lens out - the RF 35mm/ f1.8 Macro.

The mount adapter will let you physically mount and use EFS lenses - the issue is it's at a 1.6 crop, yielding a 12MP image from a full frame camera. But you can definitely use EFS lenses on the mount adapter.

I was weighing up between the RP and 6d MKii and to some extent I can see why 

New Contributor

Forgot to add lens recommendations:

I recommend the RF 35mm / 1.8.  It's a great street / walk around / low light lens and native mount. Price isn't astronomical. I got mine as a kit with the adapter and body.

I have the EF 50mm / 1.8  which on the apapter does well for portaits and street at a low cost. With the apater it's about the same size as the RF35m on the body.

I also have the RF 24-105 / 4L. It's heavy and large, does nice portaits at 85mm / F4, good all-rounder lens. Keep in mind there is an RF 24-240 non-L lens coming out later this year which might be a better option.

The RF 85mm / F1.2 was just announced which could make a great portrait lens but pricey and untested.

Those are the only FF frame lenses I've used so far on the RP.

If you don't alreay have an EF collection, my suggestion would be to look at RF lenses where possible - or even hold off while the RP is further tested and perhaps updated, and more lenses released.  I find I much prefer using the native glass over the adapted.