cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy an 1.4 or 2.0 extender instead of another lens?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Here's where I'm coning from. I have a Canon T7 with the 75-300 lens. Some of you will recall I had inquired about the Sigma 150-600 lens. I was browsing through Lenses and found a conversation that mentioned keeping a lens that goes to 300mm and getting a converter. Canon's converter is cheaper than buying a new Sigma 150-600 lens. Would I be better off to buy one of the converters? Right now, I'm taking photos of birds, wildlife and flowers. Would like the extended magnification for wildlife that is difficult to approach as deer. Thanks for your input.

BTW, the wife would be happy if I could buy a less expensive lens.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
30 REPLIES 30

You have been at this conundrum for quite a while now.  The bottom line is, there is no cheap way if you want decent quality. You need to get that around your head. I showed you a good choice and you missed it. One thing you need to do is stop reading so many reviews and forums. Most of those folks aren't any more knowledgeable or experienced than you are. They just own a keyboard, too!

When you find a deal, they are out there, like the one I showed you, you need to jump. Or, bite the bullet and buy one and start enjoying it now. Think how much you are missing by not having it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EB, the one you mention, I got outbid at the last minute. This the only photography forum that I frequent. I look at eBay occasionally but it seems that prices go higher and higher. As I mentioned earlier, one 150-600 went within $99 of a new one; it was described as scratched and scuffed and no return. If I spring for the 150-600, I'll go with a new one.

The old guy my father and uncle were in business with said what is a bargain today might not be a bargain tomorrow. FWIW, he died in about 1952, worth $2 million.  I always found that to be good advice.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

EB, the one you mention, I got outbid at the last minute. This the only photography forum that I frequent. I look at eBay occasionally but it seems that prices go higher and higher. As I mentioned earlier, one 150-600 went within $99 of a new one; it was described as scratched and scuffed and no return. If I spring for the 150-600, I'll go with a new one.

The old guy my father and uncle were in business with said what is a bargain today might not be a bargain tomorrow. FWIW, he died in about 1952, worth $2 million.  I always found that to be good advice.

Good, for you.  You were outbid on eBay, which is an absolutely terrible place for inexperienced users to shop for camera gear.  Being outbid just may have saved you from who knows how much grief and annoyance. If you need to ask for advice, it is probably best that you do not shop on eBay.

If you want a super telephoto lens, then it is not going to come cheap.  Save up at good $1000 USD for one.  Only buy from a real camera store, or a factory authorized dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I got my Tamron by renting from LensRentals. They let me try it out to make sure it is working, and then I asked for a price to buy it outright.

Will look into the rental. Thanks.

Edit- Found the website and the lens is $65.00 for seven days. The bad news is it's calling for rain for the next two weeks. I need to dig out the raincover and see if it will fit the 150-600.

John

"I got my Tamron by renting from LensRentals."

I am not a lens renter! I have done it because the lenses I rented were prohibitively expensive. In my line of work I had very little demand for them so renting was an option.  On relatively low cost lenses like a 150-600mm, I would never rent. Rent receipts don't get it for me. 

If you have need for a lens in the 150-600mm class and price range you can buy one and sell it when done and be nearly the same, or even better, cost as renting. Done it many times not out of need but out of hobby! 

LensRentals is probably a good place to buy a used lens because they take very good care of them. They have to or they couldn't keep renting the same lens over and over.

EB

Right, so the idea is that you rent the lens, check it out, and if you like it, Lens Rentals will sell it to you *applying the rental amount, too*, so it is a good way to try-before-you-buy.

Yeah, I could go for that. Sounds sound! Smiley Happy

EB

kvb, I got an email from the LensRental. Will go through it and get it fixed in my thoughts. Applying the rental fee to the purchase price sounds good.

Again, thanks to all. On the last auction, I bid once out of curiousity. Kind of like playing one quarter on the slot machine. As I mentioned, I was very hesitant about the "No Return" clause on that auction item.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

kvb, I got an email from the LensRental. Will go through it and get it fixed in my thoughts. Applying the rental fee to the purchase price sounds good.

Again, thanks to all. On the last auction, I bid once out of curiousity. Kind of like playing one quarter on the slot machine. As I mentioned, I was very hesitant about the "No Return" clause on that auction item.

That clause should have been a red flag to "walk on by", and look elsewhere, IMHO.  Like I said above, dBay is not the place for inexperienced photographers.  If you need to ask these type of questions, then I still advise you avoid eBay.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements