cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy a good lense

Dragonfire665
Contributor
Hello and thank you for ready this. I don't know much about lenses, so I am looking for help. I'm trying to surprise my wife for her bday with a new lense for her eos rebel t3i. She currently has a photography business starting and she mostly do baby photos. Both outside or inside, newborns and up.

My question is, there a good lense that can manage her business well? I know that she has an old camera and a new one would be much better.
10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would get her the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

"I know that she has an old camera and a new one would be much better."

Yes this is true.  I would hate to start a photography business with a T3i.  Unless this is just a hobby venture?  But, hey, give it a go.  What do I know?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I would get her the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

"I know that she has an old camera and a new one would be much better."

Yes this is true.  I would hate to start a photography business with a T3i.  Unless this is just a hobby venture?  But, hey, give it a go.  What do I know?

Child photography is much more dependent on skill than on equipment. When my daughter's kids were small, she got excellent pictures of them with a succession of P&Sses.

That said, I do of course endorse your recommendation of the 17-55. A somewhat longer lens might also be useful.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Dragonfire665
Contributor
Yea it's more of a hobby until she can buy a better camera

"... she got excellent pictures of them with ..."

Please note, I didn't say you couldn't get nice shots with a T3i. Despite what Bob from Boston replied.  You can there is no doubt but I would not start a professional photography business with one as the only camera.  If it is a hobby business, more power to you, or her, I mean.

As a matter of fact when I was in full bore business I had 5 Rebels going.  But I always had a 5d2 or 5d3 or a 1 series as my main most camera.  In the photography business you have to offer something the client can not get for free.  Cousin Bruce down the street has a T3i and he will do it for free.  That kinda thingy.  The other 'something' you must offer than is talent.  So, the 64 thousand dollar question, is she?  Make sense?

EB

Dragonfire665
Contributor
Oh she is talented. She has been able to take wonderful photos with that camera. Heck I might post a few. I'll buy her a great camera next year.

Smiley Happy

Do post a few.

EB

here are a few of her photos:

http://imgur.com/a/5h4NC

let me know what you guys think. And here are the following lenses I noticed that she has.

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II

Canon 50mm 1:1.8 II

So I guess she is all set for her hobby until she upgrade to a better camera.

Any suggestions on camera?

Lenses I might consider as nice additions would be the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II. 

A 6D or, depending on how serious, a 5D III (but the 5D3 is about $2500 right now for the body only.).  Neither of these cameras can use EF-S lenses, so a new body would need at least one new lens.  The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is available as a kit lens on a full frame body so that tends to be (financially) the most attractive.   

Speedlit flashes would also be a welcome addition to her gear.   

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"let me know what you guys think. And here are the following lenses I noticed that she has.

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II

Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS II

Canon 50mm 1:1.8 II

So I guess she is all set for her hobby until she upgrade to a better camera."

Two 'never's ....

Never ask for critique unless you really want it and have thick skin in the photography business.  You are never "all set" in the wonderful world of photography.

Of course I really don't know which lens she used but my first impression is, she needs to focus more carefully.  Perhaps this is the limit of her lenses? Maybe lens/camera stability was not there. I think her eye is good for seeing the subject.

EB
Announcements