cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Budget lens for Full Frame camera

Dave64
Apprentice

I have recently started using a Canon 5D Mark ii full frame camera, and am looking for a budget lens to replace the Tamron AF 18-200mm that I used on my crop frame 60D.

I carry my camera with me a lot, and liked the Tamron as it did quite a good job for most circumstances.
I know it was a budget lens but I was quite happy with it until I could afford a better lens.

Can anyone suggest an alternative 'all-in-one' type lens that I can use with my full frame camera.

I will be looking to by a used lens as I don't have a big budget. so it will be a stop gap lens until I can afford to upgrade. 

I do have a Canon EF 28-80mm lens that I am using at present, so I would consider something that would accompany this, but ideally I would like one lens to use whilst wandering around.

Any help would be much appreciated, Dave

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How much budget are we talking about?  Your camera deserves a quality zoom like the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  You can find this lens as a refurbished model in the $600 USD range.  Avoid auction sites.

I think the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM would be a great lens to have in your bag.  Full frame EF lenses do tend to cost significantly more than EF-S lenses, because of their size.  

I would suggest that you save up for the EF 24-105mm f/4L.  Invest in one really good lens, an L series.  Does not matter which one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That would definitely be the kind of lens I would like but is out of my price range at the moment.
My budget for now is around $300

I am considering renting an L-series lens from my local camera store.
If my limited photography skills show a sufficient improvement with it, I will sell the 60D and Tamron Lens to finance buying an L-series.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I appreciate it. Dave

@Dave64 wrote:

That would definitely be the kind of lens I would like but is out of my price range at the moment.
My budget for now is around $300

I am considering renting an L-series lens from my local camera store.
If my limited photography skills show a sufficient improvement with it, I will sell the 60D and Tamron Lens to finance buying an L-series.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I appreciate it. Dave

Like I said earlier, a really good lens to buy would be the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.  Be sure it is the STM version.  You can buy it in the Canon Online Refurbished Store for less than regular list price, and still get a one year warranty.

The wide aperture, f/1.8, will teach you a LOT about photography.

coachboz68
Enthusiast

@Dave64 wrote:

Can anyone suggest an alternative 'all-in-one' type lens that I can use with my full frame camera.

I will be looking to by a used lens as I don't have a big budget. so it will be a stop gap lens until I can afford to upgrade. 

I do have a Canon EF 28-80mm lens that I am using at present, so I would consider something that would accompany this, but ideally I would like one lens to use whilst wandering around.

Any help would be much appreciated, Dave

I went down a similar path as you back when I first started to get more serious, and since then I've recommended people NOT go that same route.  Knowing I what I know now, I would have kept my Rebel longer and invested in good glass first, before moving to the 7D.  But, water under the bridge and I really wanted the 7fps back in the day.  

Just my opinion, but given where you are now, I'd supplement your 28-80 with a good lens rather than further pursuing "cheap" lenses with a good camera body.  The complement I would recommend is a 70-200 f4.0 L.  Probably couldn't get it at $300, but I think with the new models out now, you could get the older models for $450 range.  Just a guess though.  My point is that if I were in your spot, I would take a used L lens in good condition over a new cheaper lens.  

Good luck! 

"My point is that if I were in your spot, I would take a used L lens in good condition over a new cheaper lens."

Absolutely.  There is no good reason the buy another cheap lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

vander
Contributor

I heard good reviews about Rokinon 35mm f/2.8 FE. it's not that expensive and might the one that you need.

@vander wrote:

I heard good reviews about Rokinon 35mm f/2.8 FE. it's not that expensive and might the one that you need.

The Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is a MUCH better buy for the nearly the same price.  It has a wider aperture, auto focus, and image Stabilization, all of which the Rokinon does not have.

CD57BA11-758F-4187-A172-D3241162BF5A.jpeg

And, the EF 35mm f/2 is a really sharp lens.

Thanks for the advice everyone,

It was all good, I don't need any more cheap lenses

As a result, I have just purchased a 24-105 F/4 L

It is second-hand , but was bought from a professional photographer, has had little use, and is in great condition.

I paid £310 (UK Sterling) which I think is a fair price.

Unfortunately at work at the moment, but am looking forward to using it at the weekend.

Thanks again

@Dave64 wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone,

It was all good, I don't need any more cheap lenses

As a result, I have just purchased a 24-105 F/4 L

It is second-hand , but was bought from a professional photographer, has had little use, and is in great condition.

I paid £310 (UK Sterling) which I think is a fair price.

Unfortunately at work at the moment, but am looking forward to using it at the weekend.

Thanks again

It's a good lens; you'll like it. Even if you add some more specialized lenses later on, the 24-105 can serve indefinitely as a daytime walkaround lens. I still use mine regularly, even though I've since gotten a 24-70 and a 70-200.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements