cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry images!

AndrewFreiband
Contributor

Shapes aren't coming into focus on the images I'm attempting to capture. Could someone suggest any foolproof ways to get clear images? Any advice welcome... apologies if this question seems dumb, I'm new to posting on forums.

13 REPLIES 13

Tiffany

Hi AndrewFreiband!

Welcome to the forum! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model camera you're using. Any other error messages or details you'd like to give will also help the Community better understand your issue.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Using a 5D! I've tried various lenses but each are presenting the same blurred images. 

@AndrewFreiband wrote:

Using a 5D! I've tried various lenses but each are presenting the same blurred images. 

If everything is blurred, the usual explanation is too slow a shutter speed. If only parts are blurred, it's usually a focus problem. Beyond such generalities, we need more precise information if we're to have any chance of helping you.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob!

Essentially, looking through the lens, I see "correct" images (clarity, etc.) but as soon as I take an image (or video), and review that picture with a plain eye, the quality seems much less crisp. Any other suggestions?

@AndrewFreiband wrote:

Thanks Bob!

Essentially, looking through the lens, I see "correct" images (clarity, etc.) but as soon as I take an image (or video), and review that picture with a plain eye, the quality seems much less crisp. Any other suggestions?

If the lack of crispness applies to the entire image, I'd suspect that your shutter speed is too low. Check your Exif data and see what speed was used, and if it's slower than 1/100 sec. (or 1/250 sec. on a telephoto lens), try setting a faster speed. How you do that depends on various other camera settings; but if you're knowledgeable enough to use a 5D, you'll know what to do.

The underlying point, of course, is that your eye expects the camera to jiggle around a bit and corrects for it. But the camera, unless it's using an image-stabilized lens, can't do that. So the fact that the image appears sharp in the viewfinder while the resulting image is blurry, supports the idea that camera motion is to blame. (Which doesn't mean that it actually is to blame, but at least it's a place to start.)

You'll notice that I didn't mention video, which is because I know so little about it. But at least in principle, shutter speed could be an issue there too.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I've tried various lenses but each are presenting the same blurred images."

As politely as I can say this, if you have tried several 'different' lenses and still get blurry photos, I am going to sugest the problem is you.  You probably need to look at your shooting technique and exposure settings.

A sample would be helpful if you could u/l one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hsbn
Whiz
Also it would be easier to know what is the problem if you can post us some sample images.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Here are a couple of example images showing the type of blur I am seeing reviewing the images. The further away I stood when I took the images, the more blurry the picture became. All help wanted!exampleofblur.jpgexampleofblur2.jpg

I posted several sample images in the thread below, but here's another! Again, the problem seems to be more lens-based than camera-oriented, as I've had no problems with the camera in the past. exampleofblur3

Announcements