cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better protection for Canon 200 f2.0 lens

kparseg
Contributor

Hello guys! I have a Canon 200 f2 lens and I'm looking for a better front element protection in addition to the hood. So far, I've seen people recommending the Don Zeck Lens Cap and LensCoat Hoodie. Does anybody have any experience with either one and 200 f2? Or are there any better alternatives?

In addition, would you recommend getting the LensCoat cover for overall protection of the lens? Any alternatives?

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Have a good one!

Karren

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

I recently bought a used 300 f2.8 L IS and it came with the Don Zeck lens cap & I've since learned it's a very well respected cap. On another forum I belong to the Hoodies were also highly recommended & so were the Lens Coats & considering the fact the lens I bought's value I bought both. The hardest part for me was deciding on which style of Lens Coat but ultimately I went for the camo style. It protects the majority of the lens but not all of it but as someone who respects his equipment but who also uses it as intended I'm happy with the extra protection per dollar.One recommendation about the Hoodie was to remove the disc which makes the front stiff IF you think you'd stand your lens (& maybe with your camera mounted) on the front of the lens hood. That way there's no risk it's not sitting flat on the ground.

DSC_1818.JPG

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

Can't really answer that especially about the Hoodie. So far I've only used the camera / lens 3 or 4 times outside around the yard but just for brief periods. I used it Sunday for a while (maybe 45 minutes max) and it was about -15 C. (it was -29 C or -20 F when I got up today). I always have had good results with all my gear when taking it outside to shoot local wildlife & birds but I'm not out long enough (I hope) to need to take special precautions when I bring it all back in. I have more problems in the summer when I go from the air conditioned house to outside. 

Re the white one I thought it looked off in clour too but I did consider it. The Lens Coats shouldn't absorb moisture from the air but I wouldn't think of them as non absorbent since they are made of basically the same material my Wet Suit is.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

I recently bought a used 300 f2.8 L IS and it came with the Don Zeck lens cap & I've since learned it's a very well respected cap. On another forum I belong to the Hoodies were also highly recommended & so were the Lens Coats & considering the fact the lens I bought's value I bought both. The hardest part for me was deciding on which style of Lens Coat but ultimately I went for the camo style. It protects the majority of the lens but not all of it but as someone who respects his equipment but who also uses it as intended I'm happy with the extra protection per dollar.One recommendation about the Hoodie was to remove the disc which makes the front stiff IF you think you'd stand your lens (& maybe with your camera mounted) on the front of the lens hood. That way there's no risk it's not sitting flat on the ground.

DSC_1818.JPG

Very informative. I like that LensCoat style you have, and most likely I'll purchase the same one. I'd go with the white one, but I've read some people complained that it isn't really white but creamy. 

Let me ask you another question. How safe is it to go from warmer to colder environment (or vice versa) having the lens cap/Hoodie? Does either one prevent/minimize condensation?

Thanks so much for your time to anwer and post the image. 

Can't really answer that especially about the Hoodie. So far I've only used the camera / lens 3 or 4 times outside around the yard but just for brief periods. I used it Sunday for a while (maybe 45 minutes max) and it was about -15 C. (it was -29 C or -20 F when I got up today). I always have had good results with all my gear when taking it outside to shoot local wildlife & birds but I'm not out long enough (I hope) to need to take special precautions when I bring it all back in. I have more problems in the summer when I go from the air conditioned house to outside. 

Re the white one I thought it looked off in clour too but I did consider it. The Lens Coats shouldn't absorb moisture from the air but I wouldn't think of them as non absorbent since they are made of basically the same material my Wet Suit is.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time and attention. Happy holidays!

amfoto1
Authority

Hi,

A little late to the party....

I don't have the 200/2 lens. Instead I use the 300/2.8 and 500/4. I have Lenscoats on both of them and they are very good protecting the lenses. I"ve had them on the lenses since new, which is now over ten years. There are a number of different styles, you can see them all at their website (just Google it).

I just use the Canon lens caps. They work fine. I'd get one of the others mentioned or similar, if I ever lost one of the Canon caps. I have used the LensCoat hoodies on several other lenses... just not on the big Canon lenses.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing your experience! I know some people use the Canon's original hood cap, but I think it may wear off fast (I'm kind of trying to baby my equipment, especially as expensive as 200 f2). I agree with you on LensCoat covers, it seems many people have good experience with them. So, I'll pull a trigger and get one today Smiley Happy

Have a nice day!

Karren

Announcements