cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best "non L" telephoto - 70-300mm?

trossit
Enthusiast

I am looking to purchase a new or used Canon Telephoto zoom and was hoping I could get a recoimmnedation on best bang for the buck. I can't really justiffy the expense for an L lens as I want to keep the cost under $300.  What Canon (metal mount) tele-zoom (70 - 300mm range )would you recommend?  I want something that can take sharp bird and wildlife pictures at its max focal length.  I am currently using a crop-sensor camera, the Canon 30D.  

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

@trossit,

I should have added why i purchased the lens.  It was intended as a lightweight travel lens.  It has extra reach and improved optical quality over it first gen predecessor.  I don't really use its LCD often.  As far as a lighter weight, generally sharp, fits in the palm of your hand enthusiast lens goes, it fits the bill.   Here is a image shot at f4 and in less than optimal lighting.  Sharpness it good almost out to the edges.

Russia.jpg

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I had the STM version.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If it is of any help, I enclose a link to my review of all Canon EF 70-300mm lenses.

Here 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements