cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best lense/settings for shooting cars/nature?

ZiggyJeep
Apprentice

Hey yall, im new here and to photography in general. i recently got a Cannon Eos rebel t6 with EF-S 18-55m f/ 3.5-5.6 IS ll lense as well as EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll lense. and im trying to figure out what all would be best for shooting cars mainly and nature as well (during hikes etc). I do plan on getting the "for dummies" book for camera as well as some online classes possibly but trying to get as much info as i can overall.

im assuming that the 18-55mm is for closer subjects while other is for longer distances? and would i need to buy any other accessories/lenses that i could get to optimize my shots? thanks

38 REPLIES 38

khanh970
Contributor
Thank you for the heads up on that lens. Not overly familiar with the Tonika lenses.

I will read up on it and perhaps try it out. Thank you.

khanh970
Contributor
Ebiggs - I have come to understand the buy it once buy it right idea. Spend the money wisely once rather than buy until you get what you want.

Lessons learned on furniture and vacuum cleaners. Haha years ago.

I will still try out the Tok I think and try out the 16-35 from canon.

I have done the same for the 50mm 1.4 from Sigma Art. I tried the canon 1.2mm after my canon 1.4mm went to lens heaven. I was suggested to try out the 50mm Sigma Art. The bulk deterred me initially but it proved to be a lens I like better due to price and performance. The Canon 1.2mm is no slouch but price delta won that day.

khanh970
Contributor
I am starting to see that Sigma really is putting a lot of effort into their lenses. Years ago I wouldn’t consider it. I purchased the 50mm Art and would consider others from them in the future.

@khanh970 wrote:
I am starting to see that Sigma really is putting a lot of effort into their lenses. Years ago I wouldn’t consider it. I purchased the 50mm Art and would consider others from them in the future.

An inevitable risk of using a 3rd-party lens is that Canon has little incentive to keep their cameras backwards compatible with 3rd-party lenses. So you can sometimes find yourself playing catch-up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@khanh970 wrote:

One thing to take into consideration when choosing a lens is your post processing software.  The free Canon DPP software does not perform lens correction on third party lenses.  You will need a third party application to fully process images taken with third party lenses, and many of them do need correction.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

khanh970
Contributor
Robert - I have read that on a few forums with some lenses. They would get errors.

I always keep that in mind when purchasing anything.

"So you can sometimes find yourself playing catch-up."

... and ...

"They would get errors."

I doubt you will encounter any issues with current cameras and current Sigma and Tamron lenses.  Most of the new stuff is user upgradable and some of the not too older stuff is factory upgradable.  The problems can and does occur with the more older stuff.  I would avoid them.  Even if they work they aren't that good so why bother?

I will still recommend you stick with my two 'rules'.  Look third party if Canon doesn't make what you want or need.  I.E. a 150-600mm zoom.   Or, number two, if the Canon is unaffordable.

Real Canon is always going to be the best course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

khanh970
Contributor
@waddizzle

I use Lightroom 2018, Perfectly clear, Adobe Bridge 2018 and Adobe Photoshop.

Anything else I should look into?

The lens correction hasn’t been too damaging in Lightroom.

"I use Lightroom 2018, Perfectly clear, Adobe Bridge 2018 and Adobe Photoshop."

These are all you need.  They are the best there is. Let nobody try to tell you different.

When you import into LR from the camera, you can set up "LR Presets".  You can have lens correction done automatically without input from you on each photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements