cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best lense/settings for shooting cars/nature?

ZiggyJeep
Apprentice

Hey yall, im new here and to photography in general. i recently got a Cannon Eos rebel t6 with EF-S 18-55m f/ 3.5-5.6 IS ll lense as well as EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll lense. and im trying to figure out what all would be best for shooting cars mainly and nature as well (during hikes etc). I do plan on getting the "for dummies" book for camera as well as some online classes possibly but trying to get as much info as i can overall.

im assuming that the 18-55mm is for closer subjects while other is for longer distances? and would i need to buy any other accessories/lenses that i could get to optimize my shots? thanks

38 REPLIES 38

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I might be interested if I didn't already have the Mk II version...."

This is really no different than the 5D Mk III vs the 5D Mk IV.  If you already own the 3 is the 4 really a big update.  I doubt it but if you don't go for a Mk IV all the way.  Same thing applies to the version 2 and 3 of the world's greatest 70-200 zoom.  If you have 2 than 3 is probably not a real upgrade.  But if you don't............................ Smiley Very Happy

I think the 5DMK3 to 5DM4 is like the 70-200 F/4L MK1 to 70-200 F/4L MK2. Enough changes to make it worth it to me. But that's just me.

I just picked up the 24-70mm 2.8L MK2 today and I can't wait to shoot with it. 

EBIGGS - i know you said the 3 in the bag should be 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 from a post I read earlier. Do you find the 16-35mm used enough? I never really shoot that wide for some reason. It's not like I don't like the wider shots just never wanted them.But lately I have been considering it for my next lens to save up for. 

"Do you find the 16-35mm used enough? I never really shoot that wide for some reason."

I agree it is probably the least used of the 'dream trio'.  But it is a top notch fantastic performer.  When (if) you need it, you need it.  Only you can decide that.  I certainly wouldn't be without it.  My bag has those three lenses in it plus the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens and the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. 8mm to 600mm coverage, pretty darn good I think.

My recent week long photo shoot in New York included those three lenses.

111.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

Robert - are you upgrading from the 5D MK3? ... 

Sort of. What I'm really doing is adding the 5D4 to my kit and juggling the roles of the rest of my cameras. Last fall I put my second 7D on permanent loan to my daughter, which provided the excuse to add the 5D4. The 5D3 will serve as the second camera in my two-camera setup, replacing my remaining 7D, which will be the backup for my cameras and for my wife's 7D2. Now if Trump's trade war makes Japanese cameras prohibitively expensive, I at least have what I need for the foreseeable future.

Good planning. 🙂 At least the 7D went to a good home. It's great that your wife and daughter are into photography as well.

My wife may be better than I am. She even has a picture in this summer's Juried Exhibition at the Griffin Museum. In this geographical area, that's about as competitive as it gets.

Have you read up much on the new 70-200 F/2.8 IS III USM? at $2099.00 now. 

No, only what's been referred to here in the forum. I might be interested if I didn't already have the Mk II version, which is plenty good enough for my needs.

Congratulations to your wife for her picture being exhibited. I would love to see the picture if you don't mind. 

I have the MK2 as well. I just watched the video on the MK3. It appears to be mostly coating which seems to the major new upgrade. I think I will pass.

"It appears to be mostly coating which seems to the major new upgrade."

Not trying to talk you into it or out of but don't discount that new coating.  I have both the Sigma C and the Sigma S zooms.  The S has this new 'special' lens coating and the C does not.  All I can say is that S lens coating is fantastic.  It makes a big difference.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It appears to be mostly coating which seems to the major new upgrade."

Not trying to talk you into it or out of but don't discount that new coating.  I have both the Sigma C and the Sigma S zooms.  The S has this new 'special' lens coating and the C does not.  All I can say is that S lens coating is fantastic.  It makes a big difference.

The videos i reviewed showed slightly better color as well as controlling the reflective flares and direct flares. It was very nice. The only reason I would consider it is if I would sell my current lens MK2 and cover the difference. I have a MK1 that I have been hanging on to for no reason. It's not like I have used it in a while since the MK2. 

Maybe sell both and cover the 70-200 2.8L MK3.

The reviewers of the new lens didn't really think it was worth it. But as you and a few others have mentioned. I might rent one before I commit.

@khanh970 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

Sort of. What I'm really doing is adding the 5D4 to my kit and juggling the roles of the rest of my cameras. Last fall I put my second 7D on permanent loan to my daughter, which provided the excuse to add the 5D4. The 5D3 will serve as the second camera in my two-camera setup, replacing my remaining 7D, which will be the backup for my cameras and for my wife's 7D2. Now if Trump's trade war makes Japanese cameras prohibitively expensive, I at least have what I need for the foreseeable future.

Good planning. 🙂 At least the 7D went to a good home. It's great that your wife and daughter are into photography as well.

My wife may be better than I am. She even has a picture in this summer's Juried Exhibition at the Griffin Museum. In this geographical area, that's about as competitive as it gets.

No, only what's been referred to here in the forum. I might be interested if I didn't already have the Mk II version, which is plenty good enough for my needs.

Congratulations to your wife for her picture being exhibited. I would love to see the picture if you don't mind. 

Thanks! I'd have to wait until after the exhibit, but I think she'll be fine with me posting it. It may not even be necessary, though. Last year's pictures are posted (although not particularly easy to find) on the Griffin's Web site, and I don't doubt that this year's will be as well. But if they don't get them up promptly, I'll post it here.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@khanh970 wrote:

Thanks! I'd have to wait until after the exhibit, but I think she'll be fine with me posting it. It may not even be necessary, though. Last year's pictures are posted (although not particularly easy to find) on the Griffin's Web site, and I don't doubt that this year's will be as well. But if they don't get them up promptly, I'll post it here.

Actually, they have them up now: https://griffinmuseum.org/show/24th-annual-juried-members-exhibition/

Assuming that the censors don't remove that link, her picture is the 14th in the first group.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ZiggyJeep
Apprentice

well thanks for the help guys just wasnt sure if i should get anything now or just wait it out. ive been itching to get into photography for ages and finally was able to get a decent camera so ill mess around with it and go from there.

khanh970
Contributor
Ebiggs - nice shot. I always love that kind of wide angle shot. Just don’t ever do them often.

I will probably rent a wide angle to shoot some landscapes that I have been meaning to shoot.

Not a fish eye kind of guy personally. I have the Tamron equivalent 150-600 lens and haven’t really gotten out to practice on that one.

Still learning and reading up about landscape shots and timing of those shots. I am trying to break away from my familiarity and shoot more landscapes and other scenes.

The Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens is a unique lens.  Nobody makes a lens like it.  The word or name 'fisheye' is somewhat misleading.  It can provide UWA shots that are linear.  Not fisheye in anyway.  Do I use it a lot, no, not really.  But I must say it is  one of my most fun lenses to play with I have.  It is the opposite side of the 150-600 mil.

"Just don’t ever do them often."

This appears like you answered the question.

EB
Announcements