cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best guess on what type of telephoto lens this is??

ilzho
Rising Star

Gee whiz, this puts my 100mm prime to shame, hahaha...... Looks like an extender on it too.

IMG_6551.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

diverhank
Authority

Hard to tell but it looks like a 500mm f/4L...looks a bit small to be a 400mm f/2.8L or 600mm f/4L but then I don't know the real size of the photographer...

This is what my 600mm f/4L looks like: 🙂

4V8A1257.jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Sorry, I was way far away from him.....

I'll go with 500 f4 also.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Nice equipment. I need to learn and practice, LOTS before I get near anything like that......

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

No doubt it is a Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  There is no converter.  That is a fantastic lens and is probably the most seen of the 'great whites' out there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

No doubt it is a Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  There is no converter.  That is a fantastic lens and is probably the most seen of the 'great whites' out there.

I think it looks more like the original version, not the Mark II version.

EF_500mm_f4L_IS_USM.jpg

Judging from the black rings and the lens mount, I'd say it's an exact match. 

I had to rule out the Sony lenses.  Apparently, the lenses are white to help keep tempeature stabilized in the sun.  Black aborbs heat, which would alter the size of lens elements and negatively impacting the lens' ability to focus.  Whie reflects heat, which means the lens will absorb less heat on sunny days.

I also wonder about those Lens Coat things, too.  What happens with age?  Wouldn't mold and mildew start to grow after a couple of years, if the cover is not removed and the lens periodically cleaned?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's a Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Yeah, it looks nothing like a Sony tele.  Not al all.

"Black aborbs heat, which would alter the size of lens elements and negatively impacting the lens' ability to focus."

Nikkor and Sigma super teles are black and have no problem with heat and focus.

"Wouldn't mold and mildew start to grow after a couple of years ..."

I have never seen that happen but I don't use lens coats. But I have a couple buds that do.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It's a Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Yeah, it looks nothing like a Sony tele.  Not al all.

"Black aborbs heat, which would alter the size of lens elements and negatively impacting the lens' ability to focus."

Nikkor and Sigma super teles are black and have no problem with heat and focus.

"Wouldn't mold and mildew start to grow after a couple of years ..."

I have never seen that happen but I don't use lens coats. But I have a couple buds that do.

This is what Canon has to say about black and white lenses.  Heat absorption.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/black_or_white_lenses.do 

--------------------------------------------------

This is a shot of the 500mm version 2

EF_500mm_f4L_IS_II_USM.jpg

I see two black bands on version 2, three bands on version 1, and three bands in the photo.  How many do you see?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I see two black bands on version 2, three bands on version 1, and three bands in the photo.  How many do you see?"

Hmmm you are right. The last one I rented looks like the OP photo.  It was rented and supposed to have been version II.  Now checking the Canon web  site I see it wasn't.  Oh, well. Smiley Sad

About the link, which I didn't read BTW, is again reading vs doing. Do you actually think Nikon would make lens that wouldn't work in the heat?  Or Sigma or any company?  I have used both Canon and Nikon Nikkor lenses in all conditions.  Most if not all big teles focus past infinity for various reason. This being one of them.

But of course I love and favor Canon L lenses.  Even though the company I worked for for 40 years was 100% Nikon. I choose and bought my own Canon gear.  The number one reason for buying Canon is its lenses.  They are simply the best there is.

I have been in the distinct situation when I was and able to try and use a lot of equipment.  If Canon thinks white or more accurately off white is best so be it. How can I contradict them?  

EB
Announcements