Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Best Way To Set Focus on Infinity?

I am using a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 with a Canon EF-S18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. Is there an easy way to set the focus on infinity when I'm using MF mode on the lens? I just want to set it and forget it.

Valued Contributor

Re: Best Way To Set Focus on Infinity?

I assume you are using it for astro-photography, if so then set your focus using the moon.

In normal photo conditions just focus on something as far distant as you can find, although I don't understand why you would want your focus fixed on infinity for everyday photo situations.

VIP

Look into what lens bands do. They are big rubber bands that go on a lens to prevent zoom ring creeping. I guess they could lock a focus ring down, too.

Be aware that focus may drift as temperature changes. I think it is best to focus on a bright star, instead of the Moon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:
Look into what lens bands do. They are big rubber bands that go on a lens to prevent zoom ring creeping. I guess they could lock a focus ring down, too.

Be aware that focus may drift as temperature changes. I think it is best to focus on a bright star, instead of the Moon.

I would think that a point source with a tendency to flicker ("Twinkle, twinkle, little star ...") would be harder to focus on than the Moon.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Occasional Contributor

@Ray-uk wrote:

I assume you are using it for astro-photography, if so then set your focus using the moon.

In normal photo conditions just focus on something as far distant as you can find, although I don't understand why you would want your focus fixed on infinity for everyday photo situations.

Ray-uk, It's not for everyday photo situations. I live just off the flight path of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. A few times each day there's a flood of planes either landing or taking off. I'd just like to take some pics of the planes without worrying about the focus.

And, I occasionally like to take pics of the moon and stars but I usually do that using a tripod and remote control using the app on my phone.

Honored Contributor

@wchettel wrote:

@Ray-uk wrote:

Ray-uk, It's not for everyday photo situations. I live just off the flight path of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. A few times each day there's a flood of planes either landing or taking off. I'd just like to take some pics of the planes without worrying about the focus. ...

Well, that's what autofocus is tor, isn't it? I would think that your camera, like other recent Canon DSLRs, must have at least one motion-sensitive AF mode that would suit your purpose.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I would think that a point source with a tendency to flicker ("Twinkle, twinkle, little star ...") would be harder to focus on than the Moon.

I agree.  It would probably be easier to focus on the Moon than a bright star.  But, that's the whole point.  Besides, if I were photographing images of the night sky, I don't think I would be doing so on a night with the Moon in the sky.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIP

@wchettel wrote:

And, I occasionally like to take pics of the moon and stars but I usually do that using a tripod and remote control using the app on my phone.

Different types of light sources can focus in different ways.

26B1D035-9104-4720-8725-49875F4FB858.jpeg

Notice the red dot on the focus ring next to the vertical white line on the focus ring?  Both are infinity focus marks.

Esteemed Contributor

Uh, no. The red dot is the infrared focus mark. RTFM.

VIP

"Uh, no. The red dot is the infrared focus mark."

It may take more than 10K for some folks. Smiley Very Happy

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!