cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Pro Canon Lens To Buy

kandildol42
Apprentice

I mostly shoot street, cars and planning to get into portrait photography.

i just ordered a canon 6d mkii with the 24-70 f4 which i find for my style will be good starting lens. but for my next lens i don't know what to get, i wouldn't mind a 70-200 but i also wouldn't mind something like an 85 prime since they're very sharp. what lens have you guys bought and you would suggest.

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... planning to get into portrait photography."

The overwhelming best choice here is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens.  Not that the 85mm isn't a good choice, I have the f1.2L, but it is a single purpose lens. And, you sound ambiguous on exactly what you want as a next lens purchase.  The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens is far more versatile and is a darn good portrait lens. Perhaps the best portrait lens,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree with Ernie that for most Canon users, the 24-70 and 70-200 pair is the first better set of lenses to own and is extremely versatile.  I prefer them in the f2.8 flavor but for a lot of people the lower cost f4 may serve their purposes. 

I have several L series primes that I use frequently and heavily for sports and some other work but none are as versatile and practical as the 24-70 / 70-200 pair.  And if I were going somewhere that I could only take a single lens, there is a 99.9% probability I would take the 70-200.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements