cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Lens for indoor video interviews.

Telecaster
Apprentice

Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. I'm starting to film some guitar demos and interviews in my makeshift home studio. I'm a beginner and have narrowed down my camera choice to the Rebel SL3. I might find a reason to spend a little more on a better camera but the SL3 seems like a good entry-level option for video.

I'm trying to pick a lens. I have basic LED lighting and a variety of backgrounds to use. Most shots will be of one or two subjects, filmed from 4' -12' away. It would be great to have something versatile for other projects, and as I grow I intend to get a variety of lenses and do some outdoor work but the main focus, and 90% of my usage will be the former. 

There are a lot of kits offered with an 18-55mm lens. Is this the best choice for my use? 

-Tele 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The "STM" version of the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens is ideal for video with cameras that have Dual Pixel AF sensors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Thanks for the reply. There are some sellers that bundle that lens with the body but It's a little confusing because some don't list the STM in the ad title but when you read further it says it has the kit. Others have the 18-55mm but no STM kit. Prices differ and there are a lot of out of stocks. Fun times with Covid:) 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The "STM" version of the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens is ideal for video with cameras that have Dual Pixel AF sensors.

Thanks for the reply. There are some sellers that bundle that lens with the body but It's a little confusing because some don't list the STM in the ad title but when you read further it says it has the kit. Others have the 18-55mm but no STM kit. Prices differ and there are a lot of out of stocks. Fun times with Covid:) 

@Telecaster wrote:

Reputable vendors will always only offer the camera kits with the STM lenses, and will clearly label the lens as such.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-sl3-18-55-black-kit 

Just a note, you mention you have good LED lighting.  Some LED's flicker at a frequency that is not noticeable to our eyes but may affect the camera.  If you lighting is made for photography this will not be a problem.

Announcements