cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Lens for Low Light Night Flight

PatEisen
Apprentice

I am going on a "one in  a lifetime" shoot - flying low and slow over the city of Detroit at sunset/night! I want the best equipment for the situation. I currently have a 70D, and would probably use my 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. I've had a suggestion that the 5D Mark II is the best body for low light, and the 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM would be the best lens.

Thoughts?

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 5D Mark II has been replaced by the 5D Mark III.  Is that a typo on your part?  Go with a newer camera.  If you can rent a 5Ds and that 24-70 f/2.8L IS II USM, then that might be the "once in a lifetime" camera kit for your flight.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I want the best equipment for the situation."

This is a very expensive statement!  The "best" is the 1Dx MK II with the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II.  Now you better get a whole big pile of money for that.  If it is truely a "once in a lifetime" thing you may consider renting this combo.  But that is the "best". Period.

That doesn't mean there is not very good alternatives.  The 5D Mk III and the same lens is going to be hard to beat.

BTW, forget the 5Ds.  It would be far down on the list as low light performance isn't all that great.

Even a T6i with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens will do an admirable job and well within most budgets.  Plus it will serve you well for everything else for many years to come.  Give it a look.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

@kvbarkley wrote:

You wanted the best:

The best at what, though?  I wasn't using Canon in the '90s, but I would not be surprised if the latest "nifty fifty" has better IQ.

"... but I would not be surprised if the latest "nifty fifty" has better IQ."

If you are referring to the plastic or the newer STM f1.8, yes, you will be surprised. Very surprised.  If you were meaning the f1.4 model you are still in for a surprise.   If you are referring to the f1.2L model, they are nearly the same lens.  These lenses are amazing.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... but I would not be surprised if the latest "nifty fifty" has better IQ."

If you are referring to the plastic or the newer STM f1.8, yes, you will be surprised. Very surprised.  If you were meaning the f1.4 model you are still in for a surprise.   If you are referring to the f1.2L model, they are nearly the same lens.  These lenses are amazing.

Even from a lens released circa 1989?

"Even from a lens released circa 1989?"

Yes.  We used to drool over that lens.  It is almost mythical now. It evolved into the f1.2L. You might be surprised to find out how many so-called current lenses have ancient optics borrowed form former designs.  Some have only been updated recently.   The manufacturing process has improved tremendously that part is true.

There was a FD 50mm f1.2L that was a real gem too.  I had one.

EB

"The best at what, though?"

You do have a serious point here most forget.  F1.2 or even f1 is not going to make or break nigh time photography.  This is the job of the sensor.   The difference between f1.2 and f1.4 or even f1 is negligible. One stop at most but the sacrifice of DOF would be tremendous.

EB

"You do have a serious point here most forget.  F1.2 or even f1 is not going to make or break nigh time photography.  This is the job of the sensor.   The difference between f1.2 and f1.4 or even f1 is negligible. One stop at most but the sacrifice of DOF would be tremendous."

How much DOF would be lost if you're shooting from a helicopter in flight?  I would assume that focus would be pretty close to infinity with a 50mm lens.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements