cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best EF L lense as workhorse for 80d

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Hi,

I'm a filmmaker wanting to do this full-time, weddings, commercial, travel films, content creation etc.
I currently own a 80d, and will most probably upgrade to full frame in a year or two. But before that I want to invest in a dynamic high end lense that I can use for most jobs. I'm looking at either Canon ef 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM or Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.
So basically a need a EF L lense that is good for thr both cropped sensor cam I use now, and the full fram i will upgrade to later.
25 REPLIES 25

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
I hear you guys, but I'm not at that level yet, not professionally nor financially. Those lenses and cameras cost an arm and a leg. So looking for eq that can work with my budget now, and then as I progress financially, I upgrade my gear.

OK, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is what you want.  It may be all you ever need as it is a keeper.  Don't buy twice if money is tight.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Thanks. The money I save from not getting one of the L series allows me to get the 55-250 too

@Jonatanlofberg wrote:
Thanks. The money I save from not getting one of the L series allows me to get the 55-250 too

“Buy it right the first time, and you only buy it once.”

One really good lens is a better purchase than two pretty decent lenses.  The best focal length, or focal range, to buy depends upon how you would want to use it.  

The 80D comes with a pretty good 18-55mm lens.  If that lens is in working order, It might be better to expand your range of focal lengths, instead of duplicating it with the17-55mm f/2.8 lens.  

What is your budget for a lens?  How do you plan to use it?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Hi,
I actually bought it body only, and then got a Kit with 50mm f/1.8 and 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Lenses.

@Jonatanlofberg wrote:
Hi,
I actually bought it body only, and then got a Kit with 50mm f/1.8 and 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Lenses.

Okay.  Those are good lenses.  I think a 24mm or 35mm prime could fill that gap nicely between those two lenses.  So, which EF “L” lenses would make a good workhorse for the 80D?  I will assume you mean a good walk around “standard zoom” lens.  

Seeing EF lenses are designed for full frame sensor bodies, not APS-C bodies like the 80D, I suppose the most correct answer would be none of them, except for primes.  The focal lengths of the zooms are good fits for a full frame sensor.

Your EF-S 10-18mm has an equivalent focal range that is close to EF 16-35mm family of lenses.  The EF-S 10-22mm is nearly an exact match when it comes to field of view.

The popular standard “L” zoom lenses for a full frame are 24-70mm and 24-105mm.  The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM will get you close to the range of a 24-70mm.  It will also fit nicely with your existing lenses.  I cannot think of anything that would be a close equivalent to a 24-105mm.

One of my favorite walk around lenses is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  A similar focal range on an APS-C body would come from a zoom lens that with approximately a 50-150mm range, and there is currently not a Canon lens close to that range.  But, the lens is VERY good, so I would recommend it just the same.  If there was ever a thing such as an general, all purpose lens for sports photography, then a 70-200mm zoom would be it.

For the most part, just about any of the “L” lenses would serve as “workhorse” lens.  Which one to get FIRST depends upon your needs.  I think select a medium telephoto zoom is easier to select than choosing a lens to use as a “standard zoom”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements