cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best EF L lense as workhorse for 80d

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Hi,

I'm a filmmaker wanting to do this full-time, weddings, commercial, travel films, content creation etc.
I currently own a 80d, and will most probably upgrade to full frame in a year or two. But before that I want to invest in a dynamic high end lense that I can use for most jobs. I'm looking at either Canon ef 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM or Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.
So basically a need a EF L lense that is good for thr both cropped sensor cam I use now, and the full fram i will upgrade to later.
25 REPLIES 25

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Do you know if it hold the f2.8 during zoom like the 16-35 does? Thanks for all the helpful answers

@Jonatanlofberg wrote:
Do you know if it hold the f2.8 during zoom like the 16-35 does? Thanks for all the helpful answers

Yes, the Canon 17-55mm f.2.8 IS USM does have a constant aperture... holds f/2.8 throughout the range.

It's images and general performance is "L-quality" (same with 10-22mm USM and 15-85mm).

HOWEVER, these are all EF-S lenses and won't work on full frame, which you specified.

In fact, aside from a more "mid-grade" style of build, they could be L-series, except that no EF-S lens ever will be. The reason is that one of the criteria to qualify as an L, a lens much work on all EOS cameras past, present and future.  EF-S lenses are "crop only", so none of them will ever have red stripes painted on them or an L after their name. They easily meet other criteria for L (performance and use of exotic glass... in fact these particulr EF-S have more exotic elements than some L!)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

"Do you know if it hold the f2.8 during zoom like the 16-35 does?"

Yes it does. It is exactly the same.  The IQ is excellent with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

While Alan's suggestions are surely possible they would not be anywhere are cheap as keeping your 80D and buying the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens along with the  EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens would be a stop gap lens as there isn't as many options in this FL for the 80D.  Note it is a variable aperture.

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens along wiht your EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens would make a nice bag.

Opinion section;

For the most part forget primes.  They are just not as user friendly as zooms especially since zooms have become so good. My personal opinion of these "L" lenses in the f4 versions is, why bother?  Either you want the best or you don't. Again IMHO, I would rather have the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens on my 80D than any of the f4 "L"s.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

You might consider the f/4 versions, in order to be able to get both. They also have image stablization, while the f/2.8 versons don't.. Image quality is top notch, and they are smaller, lighter, too. 

EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM....... $999

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM III...$1899

EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM......  $899

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM II....$1599

EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM.........$1099

new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM II.......$1299

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II...$1799

new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM III...$2099

The two new 70-200s look to be superb lenses, but aren't in stores yet. The previous versions of them are still excellent, too.

The 24-70mm f/4L IS USM also is incredibly close focusing. It's able to do 0.70X magnication on it's own, which is almost triple the 0.21X typical of the others. That might allow you to avoid buying a macro lens in the future, if it meets your needs.

The onlyl "drawback" is that the f/4 zooms won't give as strong background blur. But an easy way to solve that problem is with a few fast primes.... which can be faster even than the f.2.8 zooms.... 28mm f/1.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8 , 100mm f/2 are alll reasonably priced and quite capable. Or if you want to "take it to the extreme", there are 24mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.2, 135mm f/2 and 200mm f/2!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Wow ok, so really I should get that one then, as I'd save almost 1,000 that I can put towards another lense.

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Ok, so everyone agrees the EFS 17-55 is the first one to get. Then if I have more $$ I get the 55-250. The fact that the 55-250 is STM and not USM doesn't bother when filming?

I am a stills photographer. My answers are toward stills. You need to ask a person that does video about how they will work.

IMHO, and DSLR is a poor choice for doing serious video. One reason I don't shoot vids.

Another thing if you have FF as your goal these lenses will not work on FF.  However, you need to choose FF for a good reason.  Not just because it seems like a good idea.  Ask yourself...............why?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am a stills photographer. My answers are toward stills. You need to ask a person that does video about how they will work.

IMHO, and DSLR is a poor choice for doing serious video. One reason I don't shoot vids.

Another thing if you have FF as your goal these lenses will not work on FF.  However, you need to choose FF for a good reason.  Not just because it seems like a good idea.  Ask yourself...............why?

And your answer will probably be "For the better low-light performance offered by a full-frame camera." It's certainly a factor in still photography, and possibly even more so in video, where you have less flexibility in the choice of shutter speed.

That said, I'll join Ernie in recommending against a DSLR for your purposes. If you're going to be a professional videographer, you need professional video equipment. One reason is that still cameras have a propensity to overheat when used for video. An amateur videographer may be able to get away with having that happen during a shoot; a professional probably can't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...a professional probably can't."

One thing you do not want to tell a new bride, my camera over heated and I didn't get all your wedding. Actually you don't want to have to tell her anything failed from SD/CF card to whatever.  

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Jonatanlofberg wrote:
Hi,

I'm a filmmaker wanting to do this full-time, weddings, commercial, travel films, content creation etc.
I currently own a 80d, and will most probably upgrade to full frame in a year or two. But before that I want to invest in a dynamic high end lense that I can use for most jobs. I'm looking at either Canon ef 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM or Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.
So basically a need a EF L lense that is good for thr both cropped sensor cam I use now, and the full fram i will upgrade to later.

Your priorities pretty much cover the whole gamut of video.

If your priority is film making, then you may want to look beyond a DSLR, and check out the Cinema EOS lineup.  Most DSLRs have limitations when it comes to video capture.  Canon’s high end DSLRs can employ a type of noise reduction known as Canon Log.  

Both of the lenses that you cite are great for shooting stills, but not so great for shooting video as a few less costly STM lenses.  Quality cinema lenses have manual apertures, with declicked aperture rings.  STM lenses can emulate the behavior of manual aperture ring far better than most USM lenses.

One of the best sleepers in the Canon DSLR lens lineup for video is the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.  It is one of the sharpest lenses Canon sells, and has one of the fastest, smoothest, and quietest apertures for a non-STM lens when used in video mode.  I think most still shooters would be surprised at how noisy the apertures can be on most lenses, because it is typically drowned out by the shutter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements