cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best EF L lense as workhorse for 80d

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Hi,

I'm a filmmaker wanting to do this full-time, weddings, commercial, travel films, content creation etc.
I currently own a 80d, and will most probably upgrade to full frame in a year or two. But before that I want to invest in a dynamic high end lense that I can use for most jobs. I'm looking at either Canon ef 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM or Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.
So basically a need a EF L lense that is good for thr both cropped sensor cam I use now, and the full fram i will upgrade to later.
25 REPLIES 25

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm looking at either Canon ef 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM or Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM."

Pick one or better yet pick both.  The 16-35mil will work better on the 80D but the 24-70mil will work better on a FF.  Both are fantastic lenses.  I would not be with out both.  I do weddings!

To complete the trifecta, you need the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens, too. If you are seriously thinking of doing weddings these are pretty standard equipment.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you are going to do somebodies wedding you really need the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM. and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens pair. You can't do a wedding and get truly stunning results with out these FL ranges. (on FF bodies)

EB

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Ok, Yea that's the idea. But I need to start somewhere and right now can only afford one... 😞

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
11:54 AM
Ok, Yea that's the idea. But I need to start somewhere and right now can only afford one... 😞
Right now I have Lens Kit with 50mm f/1.8 and 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Lenses

You know the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens will not fit on any FF camera?

EB

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Hmm, OK. I guess I get those after I upgraded to Ff body then.

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Ok well, those were cheap anyway just needed something for the 80d when I bought it last year.

You know there is nothing wrong with your 80D.  You can use it for weddings.  Why do you think you have to go FF?

If you just added the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens to your currecnt lenses, you would be very much closer to being able to do a nice job on weddings. Perhaps adding the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens to complete the combo.  It is a little slow to my liking but it is possible.

EB

Jonatanlofberg
Contributor
Hmm, and the glass quality etc is not a huge difference from the L series?
Announcements