cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST lenses for the EOS M50

Obinna
Contributor

Hi all, 

I have a Canon EOS M50. I just bought a multi adaptor and the EFS 24mm f2.8 lens because I want a wider angle and lower F stop. But it seems like the 24mm f 2.8 is not too different compared to the kit lens 15-45mm 3.5-6.3.

1. ) What is the most useful and effective wide-angle lens with a lower f stop or the EOs M50 for night photography? it seems the wide-angle EFS 24mm f2.8 lens works better on a full-frame. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Obinna wrote:

Is that what you use currently? is it good in low light?  My mind is leaning towards the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM for low light/night photography and wide-angle honestly.  what has been your experience for this purpose? 

How much low light are you talking about?  I shoot with an M3, and it is very good on cloudy overcast days.

4D2644DC-2333-46FF-897E-16D33F81B556.jpeg

It is also good indoors in rooms with average lighting.  I haven't tried shooting in the dark, but I have used it to photograph the insides of IDF closets, panels, and racks with the 22mm.  It does a very good job of it, but I do need a wider lens for that type of work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Focal length is focal length.  You had 24mm FL inside of your 15-45mm zoom.  So at the same FL you will see the same thing.

IMHO, you will be far better off cutting your lose and buying a new camera.  For instance the 90D. It will use native lenses that are made for it instead of adapting other lenses not made for the camera like you are trying to do now.  You can get a true UWA lens like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens or the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So what do you think about the 50mm 1.8 STM? does that make a remarkable difference for the EOS M50? Have you ever tried it out ? 

The 50mm f1.8 is another great lens that is not designed to be used on a M50.  It has to be adapted. a 50mm prime on a M50 will not be a friendly FL.  It is a specific use FL not a general FL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

The OP's EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM has a variable aperture. It will only ever be at f/3.5 when it's at its widest 15mm, so it fits the bill in that sense. If it's zoomed in at all, you'll start losing light. 

The EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM is always going to be the same, so you'll get solid performance in low light as well as bright light. 

The kit lens is wider, but you'll probably find the prime lens outperforms in dimly lit situations. 

I have the 24mm STM lens and the 50mm STM lens, and I use them as my "walkaround" lenses on my T7i. I prefer the 24mm because it's wider. 

Do you use an adapter for your ef 24mm f2.8 with your T7i?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I love the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM. The EF-M mount lenses use less power than EF lenses and the adapter.

Is that what you use currently? is it good in low light?  My mind is leaning towards the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM for low light/night photography and wide-angle honestly.  what has been your experience for this purpose? 

@Obinna wrote:

How much low light are you talking about?  I shoot with an M3, and it is very good on cloudy overcast days.

4D2644DC-2333-46FF-897E-16D33F81B556.jpeg

It is also good indoors in rooms with average lighting.  I haven't tried shooting in the dark, but I have used it to photograph the insides of IDF closets, panels, and racks with the 22mm.  It does a very good job of it, but I do need a wider lens for that type of work.

Impressive!!! Thanks a lot. Was trying to make up my mind. I ended up buying it today

Announcements