cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus won't work

jordan
Apprentice
I have a T6 and recently started getting Error 01. I switched from the 18-55mm to the 75-300mm and the zoom lens works perfectly. I finally have gotten the error message to go away, but it works fine in MF but if I switch to AF it will focus but not take the picture.
5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Error 01 = Communication between camera & lens is faulty.  But since the 75-300 works perfectly, the fault is probably in your 18-55mm lens.

If your T6 & lens are still under warranty, contact Canon.  If not... it’s not worth repairing.  The newer EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 STM is much better.  I think it is still possible to get the non-STM version.  The STM version is about $50 more... but worth it.  It has a much better focus motor and better optics.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Error 1 is "Communications between the camera and the lens is faulty."  You might try wiping the contacts on the lens with a dry micro-fiber cloth.  Do not use a pencil eraser as some will suggest.  It will do permanent damage.  Usually just changing, the action of removing and remounting the, lens will keep the contacts clean enough.

But my gut feeling is your lens is done. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jordan wrote:
I have a T6 and recently started getting Error 01. I switched from the 18-55mm to the 75-300mm and the zoom lens works perfectly. I finally have gotten the error message to go away, but it works fine in MF but if I switch to AF it will focus but not take the picture.

That lens is more than likely malfunctioning.  If it were not communicating, you would not get an error message.  The camera would think that you are using a fully manual lens, and display F00 as your f/stop setting.

I would advise looking at the updated version of the lens, the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6mm IS STM.  Note the "STM" at the end of the model number, which your current probably does not have.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-55mm-f-4-56-is-stm-standard-zoom-lens

Or, you could go for the 2 Lens Portrait Kit, which includes two "STM" lenses.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/portrait-and-travel-two-lens-kit

I like the Portrait Kit.  Certified Canon dealers should have identical pricing.  Beware of bargains.  Not all are bad, just buyer beware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" If it were not communicating, you would not get an error message."

Not exactly. It can be camera or lens.  Error 1 is not specific to the lens.  A bad contact pin on the camera will cause it to display Er 01.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" If it were not communicating, you would not get an error message."

Not exactly. It can be camera or lens.  Error 1 is not specific to the lens.  A bad contact pin on the camera will cause it to display Er 01.

It has already been established that camera works just fine with another lens.  It’s the lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements