cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus not working on 18-55 mm lens and 18-135 mm lens.but working on 50 mm lens

techankit1990
Contributor
Hi all,

I am a newbie and bought my first DSLR canon SL3/200D ii with 18-55 STM lens + 50 mm lens kit. Later i bought another used lens 18-135 mm . I just realized that autofocus feature is not working on the 18-55 and 18-135 mm lens.. however its working on 50 mm lens.. need your advice on what could be the issue..

There is no physical damage as in from my end as i have always handled camera carefully..

Regards,
Ankit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@techankit1990 wrote:
Hi all,

I am a newbie and bought my first DSLR canon SL3/200D ii with 18-55 STM lens + 50 mm lens kit. Later i bought another used lens 18-135 mm . I just realized that autofocus feature is not working on the 18-55 and 18-135 mm lens.. however its working on 50 mm lens.. need your advice on what could be the issue..

There is no physical damage as in from my end as i have always handled camera carefully..

Thanks for reply.. i have been trying for past 2 hours.. lens is in autofocus and tried with p and autoscene mode both.. no movement happening in lens when pointing to near and far object. At the same time with 50 mm lens its working

Tried to reset still not working.. I am thinking if any problem with mount for EF-S, since i can recall that it has never worked for 18-55 mm lens . While the 50 mm working lens is EF. Will be taking the camera and lens to Canon Care on monday..

It seems very odd that TWO new lenses have the same problem while a third does not..... I think the giveaway is your statement "no movement happening in lens" 

The 18-55 STM, and 18-135 STM (or 18-135 USM) have virtually silent AF that does not move during AF or MF. The 50mm lens has a noisy AF that moves during AF or MF. With  both the 18-55 and 18-135, any AF or MF movement takes place inside the lens and is not visible or audible to the user. Is it possible that the AF is working but you just can't hear it or see it?

Can you take any photos at all with the 18-55 and 18-135?

Have you tried using both optical viewfinder AF and also LiveView AF?

Does Manual Focus work?   

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please ensure the camera is in "P" mode, green rectangle. 

Check the len(s) that you haven't turned off autofocus.

AF.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

techankit1990
Contributor
Thanks for reply.. i have been trying for past 2 hours.. lens is in autofocus and tried with p and autoscene mode both.. no movement happening in lens when pointing to near and far object. At the same time with 50 mm lens its working

Next step.  Reset the camera to defaults.  Pain I know but this is what you need to try next.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

You do need to reset the camera under the Tools menu tab. However P mode has nothing to do with the lens not focusing. The AF/MF switch on the lens does.

The test is to set the camera to P mode. ISO to 200 and fixed. Average WB. Lens in AF. Go outside on a nice sunny day in a nice place like a park. Find some contrasty shots like trees or a fence or playground, something with vertical lines in it.  Take a lot of pictures.

If the camera/lens in question works, there is nothing wrong with your gear.  If it does not, something is broken.  BTW, make sure, double check, you have done exactly and all I suggested.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tried to reset still not working.. I am thinking if any problem with mount for EF-S, since i can recall that it has never worked for 18-55 mm lens . While the 50 mm working lens is EF. Will be taking the camera and lens to Canon Care on monday..

"Tried to reset still not working.."

Do the test I suggested first. Smiley Happy It will confirm whether it works or not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@techankit1990 wrote:
Hi all,

It seems very odd that TWO new lenses have the same problem while a third does not..... I think the giveaway is your statement "no movement happening in lens" 

The 18-55 STM, and 18-135 STM (or 18-135 USM) have virtually silent AF that does not move during AF or MF. The 50mm lens has a noisy AF that moves during AF or MF. With  both the 18-55 and 18-135, any AF or MF movement takes place inside the lens and is not visible or audible to the user. Is it possible that the AF is working but you just can't hear it or see it?

Can you take any photos at all with the 18-55 and 18-135?

Have you tried using both optical viewfinder AF and also LiveView AF?

Does Manual Focus work?   

Mike Sowsun

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you are in AF mode on the lens is the camera taking a photo? Is the photo sharp? Is the green dot lighting in the viewfinder?

If the lens is in AF the camera won't fire unless focus is confirmed.

There is no EF-S mount per se. Its the same mount and the connections are all the same. The only difference is the configuration of the keys on the lens so that an EF-S lens will mount when te white squares are lined up and the EF lens mounts when the red dot is lined up.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

techankit1990
Contributor
Hi Mike.. visited the cannon care today and support guy exactly suggested the same as mentioned by you :).. thanks for your feed back..
Announcements