Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

@mc4 wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem, a Canon EFS 18-55 IS lens and the autofocus does not work correctly, but in my case only in one way. It retracts but does not extend. If I extend manually the lens, the autofocus retracts it till in focus, but if I retract it manually it does not extend till in focus, I can ear and feel something but no movement...

I disassemble the lens, took out the autofocus motor and with a 1.5v battery I managed to verify that the autofocus motor and the gears work well in one direction and in the other, so it seems that it is not a problem with this autofocus motor, don't you think?

If it is not that the problem what could it be?

I tried my camera (EOS 50D) wih other Canon lenses and all work well, so it is not a camera problem..

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have exctly the same problem with my Canon EFS 18-55 IS II lens, and at least two other pepole in this post describe exctly the same problem.
I could not find any explenation online on how to solve this problem.
I opened the lens to check the gears and they look fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what can cause this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks for helping

VIP

Roi-canon, buy a new lens. Do not take the new one apart.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Re: Autofocus not working. Rebel XT and XTi

I recently took my 2 rebel xt and xti bodies out of storage. They had been unused for several years. They will both auto focus in only the Basic Zone modes (portrait, sports, etc.) However, neither will auto focus in any of the Creative modes (M, Av,Tv, etc.) I have tried switching lenses and still have the problem. I have tried moving the focus swithes on and off numerous times and rotating the focus rings back and forth. The problem remains. Anyone have ideas on what might be going on and options for a fix?

VIP

@hinsd wrote:

I recently took my 2 rebel xt and xti bodies out of storage. They had been unused for several years. They will both auto focus in only the Basic Zone modes (portrait, sports, etc.) However, neither will auto focus in any of the Creative modes (M, Av,Tv, etc.) I have tried switching lenses and still have the problem. I have tried moving the focus swithes on and off numerous times and rotating the focus rings back and forth. The problem remains. Anyone have ideas on what might be going on and options for a fix?

Reset your cameras back to factory defaults.

#autofocus #efs1855 #noautofocus #focusring #stucklens 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much. Problem solved sfter reading another of your posts in a Rebel thread. The problem was with my memory. I had forgotten I had long ago set a C.Fn function to option 1, which assigned focus to the * button and exposure to half press of shutter button. This forum is a great resource with the help of yourself and othe helpful contributors.

New Contributor

Thanks bud! I'm in a long trip in japan, and when the AF stop working I panicked, you literally saved my trip!

Occasional Contributor

Happy to be of help. Enjoy your trip.

Frequent Contributor

I am having an AF problem with my 1DX body. Lense does not matter, it has done this will all my lenses. Shooting happily along. The focal points will get blurry. Camera will hunt thru however many I have active. If I swithc the lens to MF I can continue shooting but givne the fact that virtually all of my photography, at leat up too this point, involves Motorsports MF is not much of an option. If I go into the menu and enter the Manual Sensor Clean section, flip the mirror up and then turn the camera off problem goes away. It may return again in a few hundred shots. It may take thousands. Starting to get very frstrating. I am a CPS member so the body will be going to Canon after the last planned event of the year. I am hoping that it acts up nearing the end of the event so that I can send it in with the problem happening. Simply turning the camera off/on will not "fix" it.

VIP

"I am having an AF problem with my 1DX body"  ... and you are using the 18-55mm lens?  I doubt it so you just might want to start a new thread.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!