cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

marcosochoa
Apprentice

Hello,

The autofocus on my Canon 18-55mm is malfunctioning and I'm afraid it may be broken.

All the internet research I've done points to issues electronic, but I believe this to be mechanical simply because of the noise it makes. With the lens set to AF, it does nothing, but makes a slight whirring sounds as if the camera is trying to, but can't focus the lens. In MF, turning the focus ring makes soft clicking sounds.

The autofocus works fine on the other lens I have.

The lens has not been dropped. I take really, REALY good care of my stuff!  Any other recommendations or bits of advice are much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Julius
Rising Star

Hi marcosochoa!

amphoto1 makes some very valid points, and it does sound like it could  be the motor in the lens. We have found that sometimes we're able to remedy this without a costly repair, but it is a multi-stepped process.

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
  10. Profit.

Hopefully this solves your problems, and you never have to worry about it again! With my personal lenses that are not USM or STM, I always store and transport them with the AF/MF switch in the MF position. This disengages the focusing motor and prevents any accidental damage to the auto focusing motor.

If this didn't solve your problem, please feel free to click HERE to contact us for additional troubleshooting, and explore other options that might be available to you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

89 REPLIES 89

@a_villasanta wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

I don't mean to insult you; but because you're new to the forum, I have to ask: Are you sure the lens itself (not just the camera) is set to AF mode? It's a fairly common mistake that we've seen newbies make.

BTW, opening up a lens is not a smart idea unless you really know what you're doing.

Yep, both the lens and camera are set to AF.

I actually have development on this, the AF works if I do the following sequence:
1. Set the lens to Manual Focus

2. Set the focus ring to the farthest it can go

3. Switch it back to AF

4. Half press the shutter

The focus ring can retract, but not extend, when I have the lens on AF. 

That usually means that someone has tried to manually focus the lens while it was in autofocus mode. Most versions of the 18-55 don't like to be treated that way, and the AF mechanism can get jammed. Try Ernie Biggs's suggestion; it's the approved method of trying to un-jam the lens. If that doesn't work, you may have to write it off. The low-end lenses usually aren't worth professional repair.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

I don't mean to insult you; but because you're new to the forum, I have to ask: Are you sure the lens itself (not just the camera) is set to AF mode? It's a fairly common mistake that we've seen newbies make.

BTW, opening up a lens is not a smart idea unless you really know what you're doing.

Yep, both the lens and camera are set to AF.

I actually have development on this, the AF works if I do the following sequence:
1. Set the lens to Manual Focus

2. Set the focus ring to the farthest it can go

3. Switch it back to AF

4. Half press the shutter

The focus ring can retract, but not extend, when I have the lens on AF. 

That usually means that someone has tried to manually focus the lens while it was in autofocus mode. Most versions of the 18-55 don't like to be treated that way, and the AF mechanism can get jammed. Try Ernie Biggs's suggestion; it's the approved method of trying to un-jam the lens. If that doesn't work, you may have to write it off. The low-end lenses usually aren't worth professional repair.

Sorry but I can't find any post from an "Ernie Biggs" in the thread, I checked the entire thread. Am I missing soemthing

@a_villasanta wrote:

Sorry but I can't find any post from an "Ernie Biggs" in the thread, I checked the entire thread. Am I missing soemthing

He's "ebiggs1".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Try this: I don't know if it works on the II version.

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Try it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Roi-canon, buy a new lens. Do not take the new one apart.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

I am having an AF problem with my 1DX body. Lense does not matter, it has done this will all my lenses. Shooting happily along. The focal points will get blurry. Camera will hunt thru however many I have active. If I swithc the lens to MF I can continue shooting but givne the fact that virtually all of my photography, at leat up too this point, involves Motorsports MF is not much of an option. If I go into the menu and enter the Manual Sensor Clean section, flip the mirror up and then turn the camera off problem goes away. It may return again in a few hundred shots. It may take thousands. Starting to get very frstrating. I am a CPS member so the body will be going to Canon after the last planned event of the year. I am hoping that it acts up nearing the end of the event so that I can send it in with the problem happening. Simply turning the camera off/on will not "fix" it.

"I am having an AF problem with my 1DX body"  ... and you are using the 18-55mm lens?  I doubt it so you just might want to start a new thread.

EB

P3rs6
Apprentice

@P3rs6 wrote:

MANUAL FOCUS IS NOT WORKING ON MY EOS R WITH RF 70-200MM LENS . PROBLEM WHEN I SHIFT THE SWITCH TO MF ON THE LENS THE CAMREA TAKES THE IMAGE WITH AUTOFOCUS

You renamed the thread, and typed a rant in all caps.  That is really bad internet etiquette.  

I suggest that you contact Canon Support directly with your issue.  Your issue is not related to the original issue on the page one.  This is only a user forum.  It is not Canon Support for those who need gear checked, inspected or repaired.  Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Second that post. Smiley Frustrated

BTW, Canon's number is 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
Announcements