Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-10-2019

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

honestly thank you so much my camera now works perfectly i was getting so worried!
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-10-2019

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

 
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-17-2019

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

Thank you! Tried a couple things with no luck. Did this and it fixed it instantly!
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-05-2019

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,952
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)


@a_villasanta wrote:

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

 


I don't mean to insult you; but because you're new to the forum, I have to ask: Are you sure the lens itself (not just the camera) is set to AF mode? It's a fairly common mistake that we've seen newbies make.

 

BTW, opening up a lens is not a smart idea unless you really know what you're doing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 11,104
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

Try this: I don't know if it works on the II version.

 

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Try it.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-05-2019

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

 


I don't mean to insult you; but because you're new to the forum, I have to ask: Are you sure the lens itself (not just the camera) is set to AF mode? It's a fairly common mistake that we've seen newbies make.

 

BTW, opening up a lens is not a smart idea unless you really know what you're doing.


Yep, both the lens and camera are set to AF.

I actually have development on this, the AF works if I do the following sequence:
1. Set the lens to Manual Focus

2. Set the focus ring to the farthest it can go

3. Switch it back to AF

4. Half press the shutter

 

The focus ring can retract, but not extend, when I have the lens on AF. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,952
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

[ Edited ]

@a_villasanta wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

 


I don't mean to insult you; but because you're new to the forum, I have to ask: Are you sure the lens itself (not just the camera) is set to AF mode? It's a fairly common mistake that we've seen newbies make.

 

BTW, opening up a lens is not a smart idea unless you really know what you're doing.


Yep, both the lens and camera are set to AF.

I actually have development on this, the AF works if I do the following sequence:
1. Set the lens to Manual Focus

2. Set the focus ring to the farthest it can go

3. Switch it back to AF

4. Half press the shutter

 

The focus ring can retract, but not extend, when I have the lens on AF. 


That usually means that someone has tried to manually focus the lens while it was in autofocus mode. Most versions of the 18-55 don't like to be treated that way, and the AF mechanism can get jammed. Try Ernie Biggs's suggestion; it's the approved method of trying to un-jam the lens. If that doesn't work, you may have to write it off. The low-end lenses usually aren't worth professional repair.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-05-2019

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@a_villasanta wrote:

I have an 18-55 IS II. It won't autofocus at all. I can't hear the gears running, as if the lens doesn't know that it's on autofocus mode. I've also tried this on the 55-250, and the 50mm f1.8, but those lenses are able to autofocus well. I've opened my lens and checked the gears, but all the gears seem to be well in place. No gears have missing teeth.

 


I don't mean to insult you; but because you're new to the forum, I have to ask: Are you sure the lens itself (not just the camera) is set to AF mode? It's a fairly common mistake that we've seen newbies make.

 

BTW, opening up a lens is not a smart idea unless you really know what you're doing.


Yep, both the lens and camera are set to AF.

I actually have development on this, the AF works if I do the following sequence:
1. Set the lens to Manual Focus

2. Set the focus ring to the farthest it can go

3. Switch it back to AF

4. Half press the shutter

 

The focus ring can retract, but not extend, when I have the lens on AF. 


That usually means that someone has tried to manually focus the lens while it was in autofocus mode. Most versions of the 18-55 don't like to be treated that way, and the AF mechanism can get jammed. Try Ernie Biggs's suggestion; it's the approved method of trying to un-jam the lens. If that doesn't work, you may have to write it off. The low-end lenses usually aren't worth professional repair.


Sorry but I can't find any post from an "Ernie Biggs" in the thread, I checked the entire thread. Am I missing soemthing

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,952
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)


@a_villasanta wrote:


Sorry but I can't find any post from an "Ernie Biggs" in the thread, I checked the entire thread. Am I missing soemthing


He's "ebiggs1".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement