cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus not working. (18-55mm lens)

marcosochoa
Apprentice

Hello,

The autofocus on my Canon 18-55mm is malfunctioning and I'm afraid it may be broken.

All the internet research I've done points to issues electronic, but I believe this to be mechanical simply because of the noise it makes. With the lens set to AF, it does nothing, but makes a slight whirring sounds as if the camera is trying to, but can't focus the lens. In MF, turning the focus ring makes soft clicking sounds.

The autofocus works fine on the other lens I have.

The lens has not been dropped. I take really, REALY good care of my stuff!  Any other recommendations or bits of advice are much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Julius
Rising Star

Hi marcosochoa!

amphoto1 makes some very valid points, and it does sound like it could  be the motor in the lens. We have found that sometimes we're able to remedy this without a costly repair, but it is a multi-stepped process.

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.
  10. Profit.

Hopefully this solves your problems, and you never have to worry about it again! With my personal lenses that are not USM or STM, I always store and transport them with the AF/MF switch in the MF position. This disengages the focusing motor and prevents any accidental damage to the auto focusing motor.

If this didn't solve your problem, please feel free to click HERE to contact us for additional troubleshooting, and explore other options that might be available to you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

89 REPLIES 89

Hi....I had the same problem with my AF lens not working. I found on another forum someone who suggested to do this:
"Pulling gently on the focus ring worked for us. Slight pop, maybe 1/16" movement, and the lens is working again!"

I tried it and INSTANTLY my lens is working. I continued reading just a few more comments to see if others related to it and there were SEVERAL people who stated that it worked for them also. I AM THRILLED that I won't have to purchase a replacement lens. DEFINITELY TRY IT. I twisted it (slightly hard because what did I have to loose at that point) and it gave a loud pop but it did the trick!!!

@crystal wrote:
Hi....I had the same problem with my AF lens not working. I found on another forum someone who suggested to do this:
"Pulling gently on the focus ring worked for us. Slight pop, maybe 1/16" movement, and the lens is working again!"

I tried it and INSTANTLY my lens is working. I continued reading just a few more comments to see if others related to it and there were SEVERAL people who stated that it worked for them also. I AM THRILLED that I won't have to purchase a replacement lens. DEFINITELY TRY IT. I twisted it (slightly hard because what did I have to loose at that point) and it gave a loud pop but it did the trick!!!

I think I'm glad I don't own that lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

LOL!!!

Ohh, thank you all so much, this last little trick worked for me. This lens is only 3 years old and has never been abused. But I tried the GENTLE tug on the focus ring and heard the tiniest little click, re-attached it to the camera and VIOLA IT IS NOW WORKING!!!

Hi Crystal,

I have been having the same problem with my 18-55mm lens.  I am not sure if I am pulling the focus ring how I should.  Can you offer any further advice?

Thank you

Crystal! It worked! Here I've allways prided myself as being a hi tech cowboy. Of course i tried everything before going to the net. & of all things...all i had to do is pop a top! haha! TKU ! TKU ! TKU! I owe u a squeeze...i mean a hug..lol

Crystal:

Thank you for your brilliant suggestion, my autofocus is now working again!  I had tried the suggestions from Julius but no success, so I had nothing to lose by trying the gentle pulling on the focus ring and it worked - totally made my day!

I also took note of the comments saying that the main reason the problem occurs in the first place is the user is focussing manually when the AF is engaged - I'm sure I've been guilty of this in the past, without even thinking about it, so I will be more careful to avoid doing that in the future!

I also appreciate the comment stating that it's a good idea to put the lens in the MF mode when it's not in use, I will add that suggestion to my repertoire...

I'd given up hope, and tried this several times until I understood the description!  SUDDENLY my auto focus works again!

I'm thrilled!

That click was scary, but it worked for me!

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

No need for a new lens, YAY!

Crystal!!! You're the best! I tried about 15 other less scary sounding things to get my AF to work again but pulling on the focus ring till it "popped"was what worked!!

Announcements