cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Focus on 18-55mm lens not working

rca1992
Contributor

Up until today my 18-55mm lens has been working just fine while on AF; however, today when I took my camera out I found that the AF feature wasn't working. It works fine when on MF. The thing that I find wierd is that the AF does work [kind of] if the camera is on live view [using the screen to track a shot rather than the view finder], but that even that is limited. Any ideas on how I'm able to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rca1992 wrote:

Up until today my 18-55mm lens has been working just fine while on AF; however, today when I took my camera out I found that the AF feature wasn't working. It works fine when on MF. The thing that I find wierd is that the AF does work [kind of] if the camera is on live view [using the screen to track a shot rather than the view finder], but that even that is limited. Any ideas on how I'm able to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

What camera, and what is the full model number of the lens?  Does the model number end with "STM"?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The camera is a Canon T3i. The lens is an EFS 18-55mm with image stabalization.

Please tell us all the numbers and letters in the model name.

8936229483 -- I hope this is the right informaiton needed because it  is the only identifying number that I can find on it.

No, around the inside of the filter ring it will say something like EF-S 18 - 55 F/3.5-5.6.... We need all those numbers

@rca1992 wrote:

8936229483 -- I hope this is the right informaiton needed because it  is the only identifying number that I can find on it.

No, that isn't the model number.  Look at the art that says "EF-S 18-55mm".  There should be more stuff written after it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay, hopefully I've got it this time. Clearly you can tell I'm a rookie! I have a canon EFS 18-55mm image stabalizer macro 0.25/0.8ft lens. 

Thanks for your help!

Did you by chance try to focus it while it was focusing? Even if you just accidentally touched the focus ring?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That is a possiablity. Is there a quick fix that I can try?

Announcements