cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there counterfeit, fake 24-70 2.8 usm II out there?

emka037
Apprentice
Not talking grey market lenses but flat out fake. Looking to purchase 24-70 usm II not sure where yet and if new, used or refurbished but it would be good to know before I do. I can't seem to find much info on that other than the 50mm
17 REPLIES 17

"... B&H Photovideo, ... The only drawback to dealing with them is that they shut down for every Jewish holiday,"

I love B&H Photo but it is not nearly the only place to buy real Canon gear. Adorama for another NYC store or Best Buy for a local store as basic examples.  It is almost easier to list the place to avoid. That would be Amazon and ebay for starters.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... B&H Photovideo, ... The only drawback to dealing with them is that they shut down for every Jewish holiday,"

I love B&H Photo but it is not nearly the only place to buy real Canon gear. Adorama for another NYC store or Best Buy for a local store as basic examples.  It is almost easier to list the place to avoid. That would be Amazon and ebay for starters.

I agree with B&H being a very good source.  When it comes to Jewish holidays, they seem to have stopped the practice of not taking online orders during extended holidays like you may see in September.  Adorama observes Jewish holidays, too.

When it comes to Best Buy, though, I have scratched them off the list for a source of online camera gear after getting a run around with an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  They seem to have quality and inventory control problems.  

My first copy would rattle on the camera body.  It was loose, and you could hear it clicking as you pointed the camera up and down.  It was missing a warranty card.  After returning it for a new copy, which took two weeks, I realized it looked a little different form the first copy.  I had taken pictures of the first lens, and noticed that the first one was missing the rubber grommet on the lens mount.

However, the second copy was an obvious open box item.  It front focused.  It was missing a warranty card, too.  They tried to tell me that I could register online, so I did not really need the warranty card.  Nope, no thanks.  It took another week to get a third copy, which seemed to be factory fresh.  I tested it, and decided it was a keeper.  But, this entire episode from ordering to receiving the third lens took over a month.  

I only buy miscellaneous accessories from Best Buy now.  Stuff like memory cards, replacements keyboards and mice, cables, etc.  No more online orders, which I picked up at a local store.  Returning the lenses was a hassle because they store did not actually sell it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have not noticed Adorama being closed on Jewish holidays but I don't try on every one to order camera gear. I doubt they are closed.

You know that's an unfortunate story about Best Buy but again it is an isolated incident. And my purpose was to infer a place or store with a brick and mortar store front opposed to an online retailer. Not clearly stated by me I must admit. I only use Best Buy that way. All my personal dealing with Best Buy have been positive but I can't comment on their online stuff since I never use it. They generally have a knowledgeable person to assist.

Another store we have is Microcenter.  Also a very good source and knowledgeable folks. I think it is a chain. Neither are closed on Jweish holiday's.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have not noticed Adorama being closed on Jewish holidays but I don't try on every one to order camera gear. I doubt they are closed.

You know that's an unfortunate story about Best Buy but again it is an isolated incident. And my purpose was to infer a place or store with a brick and mortar store front opposed to an online retailer. Not clearly stated by me I must admit.

If you only order online from Adorama, you may have not noticed.  They keep the online ordering up and running, while the brick and mortar store actually closes for holidays like the High Holy days.  

B&H seems to have adopted a similar policy for some of the shorter Jewish holidays.  They take online orders, but do not ship until after the holiday is over.  I am guessing the entire online ordering system is fully automated, and no one is actually working.

I figured you meant the brick and mortar store, which is why I pointed out that I do shop there.  Buying in the store is a very different experience from their online shopping experience. It is not all that different from Amazon.  Not every item you see online is being sold by Best Buy.  

Best Buy has third party vendors selling items through their site just like Amazon.  I had not noticed that when I had first ordered my lens.  When I returned the first lens, they re-ordered a "new" lens from another third party vendor.  I made sure that the third lens actually came from Best Buy.

"Best Buy has third party vendors selling items through their site just like Amazon."

Not good.  I did not know that, I do now!  I did not know that about Adorama since I have never been there in person.  I was at B&H one time when I was on a photo shoot in NYC a couple years ago.  It is  amazing and huge.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Best Buy has third party vendors selling items through their site just like Amazon."

Not good.  I did not know that, I do now!  I did not know that about Adorama since I have never been there in person.  I was at B&H one time when I was on a photo shoot in NYC a couple years ago.  It is  amazing and huge.

Hmm.  I just visited their web site and the whole "Marketplace" setup is gone.  Maybe they had too many complaints.  Everything appears to be from Best Buy, not outside vendors.  

But, there are still many items being offered that are only available through online orders, and not offered or displayed in any stores.  These are the items to be most suspicious of because they are not normal stock items.

I didn't know that about Best Buy either; I have looked online for items but everything I purchased has been at the physical store.  Thanks for the information!

Walmart does the same thing acting as a front for third party sellers online which doesn't bother me except it makes their site more of a pain to navigate because the only time I use the site is to check whether a specific item is in stock at one of their locations.  Near me, there are four different Walmart centers all between 25 to 30 miles away, in four different directions so if I need something special I want to make sure where I can find it before wasting time.  Their online site has you jump through numerous hoops to finally display mostly stuff in stock at your selected store although it for reasons known only to the folks in Bentonville it sometimes displays stock available at another nearby store even though it is also in stock at your chosen location forcing you to use the check other locations button to find out about your originally requested store.

Amazon has gotten to the point that if I can find it on ebay, I will buy it there instead.  The Amazon search engine apparently has early onset dementia.  I needed to get another set of hard drives to archive more photo files and last week when I searched for 4 TB and up units it gave me quite a few in the 1 TB and 500 GB range, probably there are options if you click on those to buy a larger one in that line/brand but still not convenient when you are trying to quickly narrow down products by price and rating.  Inexplicably my search results also included the availability of a rather generous sized sports bra, it had plenty of storage capacity but not for my storage needs. 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I was at B&H one time when I was on a photo shoot in NYC a couple years ago.  It is  amazing and huge.

Visiting B&H is more than an impressive sight.  It is an awesome experience.  The conveyer systems are jaw dropping.

Announcements