cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there counterfeit, fake 24-70 2.8 usm II out there?

emka037
Apprentice
Not talking grey market lenses but flat out fake. Looking to purchase 24-70 usm II not sure where yet and if new, used or refurbished but it would be good to know before I do. I can't seem to find much info on that other than the 50mm
17 REPLIES 17

@emka037 wrote:
Not talking grey market lenses but flat out fake. Looking to purchase 24-70 usm II not sure where yet and if new, used or refurbished but it would be good to know before I do. I can't seem to find much info on that other than the 50mm

The best way to avoid counterfeit equipment is to buy from a scrupulously honest vendor. Many of us use B&H Photovideo, an official Canon reseller in New York City. The only drawback to dealing with them is that they shut down for every Jewish holiday, no matter how minor. (And you'd be surprised how many of those there are.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

There are lots of fake Canon batteries and chargers out there, but I have never seen any documented evidence of a fake Canon camera or lens. I doubt it would be possible.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I have never seen any documented evidence of a fake Canon camera or lens. I doubt it would be possible.

Apart from the coffee mugs Smiley Very Happy

@Ray-uk wrote:

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I have never seen any documented evidence of a fake Canon camera or lens. I doubt it would be possible.

I think I may have the ultimate Fake Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 Lens Coffee Mug. I cut off the fake rear end and cap, and screwed on a lens mount and rear element from an old EF 35-70mm lens. I also added a red alignment dot and some weight inside the barrel, and it now looks and feels like the original and can be securely mounted to any EOS camera.

_001a.jpg

_002a.jpg

_003.jpg

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

@Ray-uk wrote:

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I think I may have the ultimate Fake Canon Lens Coffee Mug. I cut off the fake rear end and cap, and screwed on a lens mount and rear element from an old EF 35-70mm lens. I also added a red alignment dot and some weight inside the barrel, and it now looks and feels like the original and can be securely mounted to any EOS camera.

But ... can you still drink coffee out of it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

But ... can you still drink coffee out of it?

Yes, the inner stainless steel liner is still intact, and the front cap just screws off so I can remove the weight and fill it with coffee or ?

_001 a.jpg

Mike Sowsun

I agree with Mike that the market for better Canon glass is so small that it isn't worthwhile to counterfeit.  Typically, counterfeit items are created for product categories with very large demand.

But it is always a good idea to buy from a known retailer to avoid gray market products that aren't stated as such prior to sale or used products that may not be in good working order.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Buying from reputable dealers is always the best solution. 

I remember a thread on the dpreview Forum about a 580EX II flash sold in a Hong Kong store that was suspected as being Fake. I thought it ended up being a genuine flash that had been opened up, and poorly repaired, and then passed off as new. 

Mike Sowsun

"There are lots of fake Canon batteries and chargers out there, but I have never seen any documented evidence of a fake Canon camera or lens. I doubt it would be possible."

Nothing is impossible to duplicate and counterfeit. There was a rash of fake 580 EX flashes for a while.  Almost impossible to tell from the real deal.

click here for fake flash 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements