Valued Contributor

Re: Aperture Help

Thanks Ernie!  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M2, 1DX, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Honored Contributor

@matt204 wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone!. I can see now I didn't have a issue with the lens it was that the lowest f stop is 4 and I need to get a lens that goes to a 2.8 or 2 and of course I need to get out there and practice with the camera!

Practicing is a must.  But, it also helps to know what you are doing, too.  An understanding of basic photography is something that should not be ignored.  If you do not understand exposure and depth of field, then you will never learn to use the camera in the creative modes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You do not really need a wide aperture for background blur.  It helps, but it is not mandatory.  This was shot with a 6D at 100mm at f/4.5.  I was using the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens.  

94E14931-5EE6-440B-9D51-9C7CA7F90C10.jpeg

The subject was very close to the camera.  Obviously, the background is relatively quite distant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."