cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody ever had a lens sent back to you in pieces?

Elizabethanne
Apprentice

I sent my 70-200 in for a repair because it was missing focus.  They said it was dropped-which is a possibility, so I okd the estimate.  Then, they upped the repair price to like $1,800 so I said, no I'll just use it as it is because it's fine at closed down to around 5.6

They returned it in pieces!!  I called but they're closed today!

I'm so upset!

Has this happened to anyone else?  Wil Canon put it back together for me? 

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Where did you send it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This is just a guess but I am an auto mechanic so I may be right. If they had to totally dismantle it to properly estimate the repair needed (what's no longer usable in there) the cost of re assembly & doing basic adjustments might have been quite expensive & it still may not function as you expect.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I sent it to Canon USA in NJ. 

I don't see how they can disassemble my lens that was in adequate working condition and not put it back together the way they found it  and expect me to just accept that!  I'm not saying it didn't have focusing issues...but, I could at least get sharp images at 5.6!  Now I have no lens!! 

What the heck?

I'm going to give them a chance to give me an answer when they open on Monday...maybe it's just a misunderstanding and they'll put it back together for me. 

Every pro photographer I've spoken to about this has been flabbergasted!

Elizabethanne,

I am going to guess you have a 70-200mm f2.8 lens? Pretty high dollar item.

Let's see you sent it in with an issue and you I okd the estimate”. But when they found out the exact cost of the damage you refused! Now you want it restored to the unresolved condition?

Not trying to say one way or the other but you should have put an upper limit on your approved cost instead of just so I okd the estimate”.

I also suspect your lens only works at f5.6 or higher is because it falls within the DOF of the lens.

Even $1800 is still cheaper than a new lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements