cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions or comments on wide angle adapters? Cant afford a wide angle lens at the moment...

Meganab
Contributor

New to photography and have a large family shoot coming up and I dont think my 18-55 kit or my 75-300 will cut it. I cant afford a wide angle lens right now so im wondering what everyone thinks about the wide angle adapters? Pro's? Con's?

Thanks!

32 REPLIES 32

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is probably better to just create a panorama when you need the extra wide angle. 18 should be plenty wide for a group shot.

How do I do that? LOL

Just take a series of overlapping shots. You can use software like Canon's PhotoStitch to combine them into one.

Photoshop Elements gets more fancy and just keeps the faces with the eyes open, etc.

I just looked at a photo stitched picture and I dont like the lines. Is it possible to do a panoramic and just manually "spin" the camera? Kind of like how you would on a cell phone?

Perhaps you could try the video mode, pan the group, and then try a frame capture. Or see my post on renting. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Plus, I dont think photo stitch would really be an option for me being that there will be 20+ ppl in this photo and half being kids.

Any of those wide angle or telephoto adapters really degrade image quality. 

You can rent a Canon 10-18mm wide angle zoom for $21 for 5 days.  We can't link to business sites, but Google for lens rentals. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Renting was my next choice, I think ill just do that instead of risking something ive never tried thanks!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The 10-18 is a nice lens. You may decide to keep it😀
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements