cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An occasional vignette problem

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

Which has just started. It occurs on all 3 bodies (7D MKII, 1DX and 1DX MKII). Lens is a EF70-200 f/2.8 L II USM. I have not tried it with out the lens hood attached as of yet. At anything over 155mm I have not seen any vignetting, but under that I have. But it is not consistent. Only present in upper corners of the image, more prevalent in the left than the right. Was in a position where I was shooting motocross racers as they jumped over me. In any given series of 12-16 images some will have it, some will not. Have checked the obvious, hood was on straight and securely. Any help/input/suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have one more planned motorsport shooting event for the year, don't really need to use the lens as I have a 300mm f/2.8 that is my primary lens at the drag strips but I will often use the 70/200 once the sun sets simply because the extra few feet closer in I am with the 70-200 will often make things easier under the often miserable overhead track lighting.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is probably a certain lighting situation more so then anything wrong with your gear.  Pretty easy to test and pretty easy to fix in post.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@inkjunkie wrote:

Which has just started. It occurs on all 3 bodies (7D MKII, 1DX and 1DX MKII). Lens is a EF70-200 f/2.8 L II USM. I have not tried it with out the lens hood attached as of yet. At anything over 155mm I have not seen any vignetting, but under that I have. But it is not consistent. Only present in upper corners of the image, more prevalent in the left than the right. Was in a position where I was shooting motocross racers as they jumped over me. In any given series of 12-16 images some will have it, some will not. Have checked the obvious, hood was on straight and securely. Any help/input/suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have one more planned motorsport shooting event for the year, don't really need to use the lens as I have a 300mm f/2.8 that is my primary lens at the drag strips but I will often use the 70/200 once the sun sets simply because the extra few feet closer in I am with the 70-200 will often make things easier under the often miserable overhead track lighting.

A mispositioned neck strap can sometimes get in the way and cause such an effect.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@inkjunkie wrote:

A mispositioned neck strap can sometimes get in the way and cause such an effect.

My first thought was a misaligned hood.  But, it would be very odd to mount the lens on different bodies and not notice the hood was not mounted properly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

coachboz68
Enthusiast

Sounds like a tough one to diagnose without seeing the pics, so I'll share my experience and hopefully it will be of some use.  I am not sure if it will apply to your situation. 

Years ago I shot a football game with my 70-200 f/2.8L and when I saw the images in LR, I was perplexed by the vignetting on many of the shots.  I had been using the lens for years and hadn't seen anything like it.  And, like you, it wasn't consistent on *every* shot.  

Turns out it was a combination of things.  (1) I didn't understand the relationship between wide-open apertures + telescopic zoom + vignetting; (2) I was in the PERFECT lighting/sky situation to see the vignetting that was there all along in my older pictures.  

I went out and did some test shooting with various zooms/apertures, as well as some reading on the matter,  which resulted in many "ah-ha" moments.  

I use Lightroom, and the good news is unless you have a unique situation, all the above doesn't matter as much as I thought because with a single click under lens correction, the vignette vanishes.  Watching how well it eliminates it on my 16-35 wide angle still impresses me.

HTH, 

Billy  

Announcements