cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All purpose lens for Canon R series

Deandar1
Apprentice

Having just transitioned to full frame, I just wanted to know which lens would be a good all-purpose lens for taking pictures/video of kids, nature and street. I have the control ring adaptor already that I’m using with my 50mm f1.4.

The lenses I’m inquiring about are the:

EF 24-105mm F4 L IS, EF 24-105mm F4 L IS version 2, EF 17-40mm F4 L IS, RF 24-105mm F4 L IS

I’m on a budget of under $2K CAD.

Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would go with the RF 24-105.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Another vote for the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS.  You have gone mirrorless so keep it that way. Why would you consider going with lenses not designed for your camera even though you have an "adapter"?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Deandar1 wrote:

Having just transitioned to full frame, I just wanted to know which lens would be a good all-purpose lens for taking pictures/video of kids, nature and street. I have the control ring adaptor already that I’m using with my 50mm f1.4.

The lenses I’m inquiring about are the:

EF 24-105mm F4 L IS, EF 24-105mm F4 L IS version 2, EF 17-40mm F4 L IS, RF 24-105mm F4 L IS

I’m on a budget of under $2K CAD.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Dean:

I would generally agree with the two previous comments with two riders. 

1.  What precisely do you mean by 'nature'?  If it is general landscape images then stick with the 24-105 f/4, but if you want a much longer reach for animals you might want to consider the RF 24-240mm lens that is light, cheaper and apparently renders decent images for general use.  It should be noted the view via the viewfinder looks distorted but in-camera and post production lens correction fixes that nicely.

2.  Much depends on what you will produce with your images.  The requirements for large, detailed prints are much more demanding that those for display on electronic devises, the web and mediium-sized prints.

I recommend checking the detailed reviews below by:

Justin Abott and Gordon Laing 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements