cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All lenses should have the exif info come up on photos, not just canon

geegadwah
Apprentice

Hello , I have a suggestion. I just noticed that my  Tamron150-600 serial number does not show

up on the photo information. Usually all canon lens serial numbers will show up in the EXIF data.  But listen Canon,

your customers typically spend a lot of money on our(Canon) cameras and lens.  A lot of money.  This Tamron

lens is the only one that is not Canon that I own. That is because I cannot shell out $6000.00. for your lens. It would

be nice if you could post the other guys EXIF info, just because you ARE the better brand. With our equipment getting stolen

as mine has been any little stop or security measure that can nail the thieves helps. Lets unite and be against the thieves and not the competition and the customers. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We are not Canon. We are users like you. We don't know if any suggestions here reach the proper ears.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Just a suggestion."

Not a reasonable one.  Why didn't you write down the lens' serial number when you bought it. Did you register it with Tamron?  They would have wanted the serial number.   Would that not have been a better idea than to expect a one company to keep track of a competitors products?  I doubt you are going to find any company, not just Canon, that is willing to do that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It may not be Canon's fault that the serial number does not show up in the EXIF information.

Tamron has to reverse engineer their lenses to work with Canon cameras and it's possible they were unwilling or unable to include the serial number in the EXIF info. 

Mike Sowsun

@geegadwahwrote:

Hello , I have a suggestion. I just noticed that my  Tamron150-600 serial number does not show

up on the photo information. Usually all canon lens serial numbers will show up in the EXIF data.  But listen Canon,

your customers typically spend a lot of money on our(Canon) cameras and lens.  A lot of money.  This Tamron

lens is the only one that is not Canon that I own. That is because I cannot shell out $6000.00. for your lens. It would

be nice if you could post the other guys EXIF info, just because you ARE the better brand. With our equipment getting stolen

as mine has been any little stop or security measure that can nail the thieves helps. Lets unite and be against the thieves and not the competition and the customers. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Where does the serial number of a Canon lens show up in the Exif data? I've never seen it in any version of DPP, even with my most recently purchased Canon lenses.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

wrote:

Where does the serial number of a Canon lens show up in the Exif data? I've never seen it in any version of DPP, even with my most recently purchased Canon lenses.

I only see the body serial number when I search my EXIF data (inspecting images taken using Canon lenses).  Neither Lightroom nor DPP 4 show a serial number for any lens.

EXIF does support having a lens serial number field, but I don't think Canon uses it.

Actually, I'm doing some digging into the specs.  The ability for EXIF to support lens serial number may actually be a new-ish thing (possibly requiring a more recent EXIF spec.)   I'm not certain, but it looks like older EXIF specs may not have even supported lens serial numbers.  In any case, I certainly don't see them in the EXIF data for Canon cameras (it doesn't seem to be just 3rd party lenses that are not included.)

I notice some docs mentioning tags that were added in EXIF 2.21 and I don't see lens serial number.  The latest spec is 2.31... and the guide I'm looking at underlines what they've either added or updated and it's showing the lens serial number data as being one of those "new" things in the latest spec (or it was updated).

Not an exhaustive search, but at first blush, it looks like the ability to record a lens serial number based on EXIF tags might be new.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have seen serial numbers show up in EXIF data, but in this case with Irfanview and Opanda, they both show the same incorrect serial number on my 55-250 STM. The camera serial number is correct as shown in the EXIF data below my name.

_EXIF.jpg

_EXIF2.jpg

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsunwrote:

I have seen serial numbers show up in EXIF data, but in this case with Irfanview and Opanda, they both show the same incorrect serial number on my 55-250 STM. The camera serial number is correct as shown in the Irfanview EXIF data below my name.

_EXIF.jpg

_EXIF2.jpg

Are you sure that lens serial number is incorrect? It could be being displayed as a hexadecimal number.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The lens serial number in this case is incorrect. I have seen my 24-105 show correctly with my 5D3. I am not sure if it just this photo is wrong with my 55-250, or others too. I will check and report back. . 

Mike Sowsun

Every photo with my 55-250 STM shows that same incorrect hexadecimal number.

EDIT:  My 24-105 always shows an incorrect hexadecimal number. (I originally thought it was a correct serial number)

My 70-200 also shows  an incorrect hexadecimal number.

_EXIF3.jpg

_EXIF4.jpg

Mike Sowsun
Announcements