Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Af not working

Nkhedu
Apprentice
Hello,
I have a camera eos 1300d series in which i have a small lense,
Actually the problem with my camera lense (18-55) is that
By mistake the lense was droppen by me and now the AF is not working and i dont know what to do with it
Should i get it repair or buy a new one.
Consult me something informative for this issue i'm worried.
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are talking about the lens that came in the box with the camera kit, then buy a new one.  The lens in that camera kit is an older design, with a low resale value.  You can buy a used one for a fraction of the cost of a repair.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-55mm-f-4-56-is-stm-standard-zoom-lens

I recommend buying another Canon lens, and make sure it is a better lens.  I recommend the up-to date replacement, which is included with the more advanced camera kits.  Notice how the model number ends with “STM”.  Stick to those, and you cannot go to for wrong.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-17-55mm-f-28-is-usm

That lens is the high performance replacement.  Notice the smaller f/number, which means it has a wider aperture.  A wider aperture means the lens can allow more light into the camera body, which has a couple of benefits and advantages.

Having a wider aperture means you can use lower ISO values, which should allow you to create images with lower noise.  One of the best benefits of a wide aperture lens is that your camera can focus more accurately.

When the camera focuses, it focuses with the lens set to maximum aperture.  With a wide aperture lens, more light enters the camera while the cameras is focusing.  More light during focusing translates directly into sharper focusing in almost every scenario.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/portrait-and-travel-two-lens-kit

A good compliment to lenses with the a zoom range of 18-55mm is Canon’s Two Lens Travel and Portrait Kit.  The kit includes the very good super wide angle 10-18mm lens, which is good for taking in sights.  It also includes the wide aperture 50mm lens, at almost no extra cost compared to the price of the 10-18mm alone, which is a great “portrait” focal length.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Should i get it repair or buy a new one."

Replace it. It isn't a repair candidate.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The EOS 1300D is an entry level, budget friendly camera. 

It is often bundled with either the EF-S 18-55mm III (a non Image Stabilizer lens) or the EF-S 18-55mm IS II. Both are older lenses so it would be an upgrade to get a newer EF-S 18-55mm IS STM lens.  

I would imagine you want to spend as little money as possible so buying a used  EF-S 18-55mm IS STM for about $100 might be your best option. 

If you prefer to buy new, Canon sells them for $249:  EF-S 18–55mm f/4–5.6 IS STM

EFS18-55-4-56-IS-STM.jpg

Mike Sowsun

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Agree with others that repair is not worth it. One thing to try before you discard - was the lens extended when dropped? Sometimes the extended part gets cocked in the lens barrel. If you look at lens is the part that extends crooked to one side? if so, sometimes you can push in opposite direction and snap it back into place.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

In your case it probably won't work but try it anyway. You never know!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements