cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice requested re Canon 1.4 extender

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I already had a Canon 1.4x mark I extender when I recently bought a Canon 100-400 L II lens. The mark I extender seems to work fine with it but should I spring for a mark III extender for this lens? I had been using the mark 1 extender with the similar-vintage Canon 300mm f4 L. Cameras are EOS R and 90D and I shoot mostly butterflies, bees, and smaller nature--not many birds. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Doing a test with the version iii extender would be the best way for you to decide if the upgrade is worth it for you.

With current sensors, you really have to decide whether you are better off cropping versus using an extender.  I am going to be shooting some outside stuff later today and for fun shot the same subject from the same distance using an EF 400 f2.8 IS II with and without the version II 1.4X extender.  Here are a couple of comparison shots below with the bare lens cropped to basically the same subject size for both conditions.

The EF 400 f2.8 is one of optically sharpest lenses Canon makes so even with the degradation via the extender it is still sharp but the results are noticeable.  This was using my 1DX III, the same setup with my 5DS R would likely bias the results even more towards cropping.

Just a little more data to help you decide whether it is worthwhile to upgrade from an early to later version of an extender.  The better high ISO performance of newer bodies helps offset the old problem of losing a stop with the 1.4X but with the denser/higher MP sensor it makes cropping a much more viable option also.

First image is bare EF 400 f2.8 IS II, the second with the 1.4X and both were shot from exactly the same location.  The last image shows why the loss of depth of field is a drawback to the use of the extender, only about a 3" loss for this combination at the distance I was shooting but if I had used the extender with the last image it would have been an issue.

Rodger

AS0I1482.JPG

AS0I1544.JPG

AS0I1486.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Could be....I know very little of birds, but from a google image search it looks more like a Brown Thrasher.  The yellow eye ring matches.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

I am not very good at identifying a lot of birds so it is a learning experience.  And then you get the little jokers who try to pretend to be something else.  This little subject was sitting just right this afternoon so that when the wind hit him, the head hair provided a cardinal head shape instead of the true rounded head 🙂

Rodger

2A8A4020.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Took a snap of this fella today.  I'm not sure what he is.  Tail is a bit long for a finch, but I'm no expert. 

039A5830-2.JPG

Purple finch but I'm no expert either. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"... it looks more like a Brown Thrasher"

Yes, I do agree as the yellow eye gives it away.  The two birds are very similar. The thrasher less common.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Great stuff.  The depth of focus of the cat is very nice. 

I really could have used that EF 800 f5.6 to photograph some skydivers leaving the plane ast October.  Shooting from the ground looking up produces some interesting perspectives.

Gerry

Thanks for your replies.  I shot the image below this past July with a 5D MK3, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM, EF 1.4x.  It was a hand held shot, possibly at shutter speed a bit low for the focal length (540mm).  Given the location of the single focal point on the deer, I'm thinking the focal area shown in the focus mask is shifted past a little bit.  I was thinking the flowers in front of the deers nose should be more in focus than presented.  Interested in comments.

Full Sized JPEG

039A1970.JPG

Focus Point

Capture.JPG

Focus Mask

CaptureB.JPG

Announcements