cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a lens for Cnon rebel T51

Mmoitoso
Contributor
I have a Canon Rebel T5i and my telephoto lens is not ideal for what I’m shooting. I shoot mostly baseball and cheer for my children and no matter what I do the noise in my pictures is terrible. I have an EFS 55-250. I just can’t seem to get a clear picture without a lot of noise. What lens would be a good choice for me to get a crisp picture when shooting sports? Any advice would be appreciated!
18 REPLIES 18

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Show us some examples, you can probably do better with your lens.

EA39DD2B-E335-45ED-86AB-39C14422A1F9.jpeg

This is one example and all my

picturea turn out with a lot of noise. With this lens I just can't get them clear day or night. I use a tripod and I've read forum after forum on how to adjust my pictures but I just can't seem to get a clear shot. 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Without seeing examples, the following is going to be a guess...

I'm assuming you're at the telephoto end of your lens at which point the aperture is f/5.6.  And your shutter may be a bit higher to freeze the action.  With higher shutter and narrower aperture, the only thing remaining is ISO to balance out the exposure.

Are you shooting at night, or in full daylight? If daylight, the ISO shouldn't have to be raised too high.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I have tried to take pictures at the end of my telephoto lens but it’s never clear enough so I have stopped. Most of my
Picture are take in mid range of my lens with a tripod but even the. They are very grainy. I’m not very knowledgeable but I have read a lot of forums and followed tips and advice but I still can’t get a clear shot.

Do you know the shutter speed and aperture that was used?

Sunny-16 rule, modified for f/5.6 would allow for a shutter 1/800s and ISO 100.  More than enough to freeze the action and very low noise.  If your aperture is much narrower and/or shutter speed faster, then ISO will need to increase so as to compensate.   Of course this example would be for a bright sunny day.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Most of the pictures I took last night were at the baseball field, lights on but at nite. I did change between M and AV setting to see a difference.  I set the aperture to the lowest setting f5.6 and it adjusted to 1/500  6400. (Seems high?). That was the general setting for most pictures. No matter how much I adjust the ISO or any setting I still get a lot of noise. 

@Mmoitoso wrote:
I have tried to take pictures at the end of my telephoto lens but it’s never clear enough so I have stopped. Most of my
Picture are take in mid range of my lens with a tripod but even the. They are very grainy. I’m not very knowledgeable but I have read a lot of forums and followed tips and advice but I still can’t get a clear shot.

Also, what is your setting on the top Mode Dial?  

What is the AF Mode you are using?  

Which AF Point(s) are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

72B50888-63A7-4CA2-B574-16966875B272.jpeg

Announcements