cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptor EF-EOS M

karo
Apprentice

I want to use my Canon 300mm f4 with my new M6 mark ii, so purchased an EF-M lens adaptor.

Many problems:

The lens keeps searching for the focal point, so I switch it to manual to stop the lens from searching. The lens actually makes a clicking sound. I tried the same with the 70 to 200 mm lens, and the autofocus was working overtime. The battery goes pretty fast. 

After several shots I could not really get a sharp focus that I am able to get with my other camera bodies 60D and 7D.

I decided that the adaptor just doesn't work with the lens, and gave up, and want to ship back the adaptor.

Any solutions?

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah, just another reason to not like adapters and tel-cons.  I don't have one and will never have one but like all adapters and tel-cons, it probably doesn't work with all EF lenses. Canon probably has a compatibility list somewhere. Check it out first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@karo wrote:

I want to use my Canon 300mm f4 with my new M6 mark ii, so purchased an EF-M lens adaptor.

Many problems:

The lens keeps searching for the focal point, so I switch it to manual to stop the lens from searching. The lens actually makes a clicking sound. I tried the same with the 70 to 200 mm lens, and the autofocus was working overtime. The battery goes pretty fast. 

After several shots I could not really get a sharp focus that I am able to get with my other camera bodies 60D and 7D.

I decided that the adaptor just doesn't work with the lens, and gave up, and want to ship back the adaptor.

Any solutions?

There is probably nothing wrong with your adapter.  I do not think any M Series body being paired with any EF lens that already has a tripod foot is a good match.  The adapter already has its' own tripod foot, which is meant to support the relatively heavier load of EF lense compared to EF-M lenses.

If the lens keep searching for focus when focus is lost, then you should be able to disable that behavior within the menus.  The clicking sound does not sound good.  The clicking may be from the IS, so I would try turning it off to see if it goes away.

You should not expect the type of battery life from the M6 that you could bet from a 60D or a 7D.  For starters, just compare the size of the batteries.  Short battery life is a common shortcoming with mirrorless bodies.  However, Canon's M Series bodies are actually little better than the competition.

I suspect that the battery is struggling to control the sizable load of the AF motors in the lenses you tried.  Didn't you try to use any smaller lenses?  I have an M3, have only used smaller lenses like the pancake primes.  Larger lenses worked, but the battery life was dramatically shortened.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements