cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A1 lenses

LOVE_MY_A1
Apprentice

where the A1 lenses better quality than today's DSLR Lenses? as they where horendously expensive in comparison to today's prices? Is it worth buying a good quality adaptor to use some of my exoensive lenses with a DSLR? i understand it be no autofocus will i have to use manual apparture n shutter always? many thanks guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@LOVE_MY_A1 wrote:

where the A1 lenses better quality than today's DSLR Lenses? as they where horendously expensive in comparison to today's prices? Is it worth buying a good quality adaptor to use some of my exoensive lenses with a DSLR? i understand it be no autofocus will i have to use manual apparture n shutter always? many thanks guys

No they were not better quality.

Today's lenses are made using modern computer design and manufacturing techniques this increases the quality and reduces the cost.

No, in my opinion it is not worth buying an adapter to use your old Canon lenses with your current EOS camera. The biggest reason is to maintain infinity focus the adapter will need to have an optical element which will not match the quality of your old lenses, much less the quality you'll get from new lenses.

Instead spend your money on modern lenses, especially Canon's STM lenses. Canon's STM lens line matches the image quality of their first generation L lenses at a fraction of the cost.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@LOVE_MY_A1 wrote:

Today's lenses are made using modern computer design and manufacturing techniques this increases the quality and reduces the cost.

No, in my opinion it is not worth buying an adapter to use your old Canon lenses with your current EOS camera. The biggest reason is to maintain infinity focus the adapter will need to have an optical element which will not match the quality of your old lenses, much less the quality you'll get from new lenses.

Instead spend your money on modern lenses, especially Canon's STM lenses. Canon's STM lens line matches the image quality of their first generation L lenses at a fraction of the cost.

In Fact the main reason i asked this was my 80-200 F4 L lenses it always gave me amazing results n was the reason i paid just over £400 in the 80s on top it was the hard case n the polarizing filter it was in a different world to my older lenses of the same focal length also now am older money is tighter too, many thanks i will take your advice cheers

@LOVE_MY_A1 wrote:

In Fact the main reason i asked this was my 80-200 F4 L lenses it always gave me amazing results n was the reason i paid just over £400 in the 80s on top it was the hard case n the polarizing filter it was in a different world to my older lenses of the same focal length also now am older money is tighter too, many thanks i will take your advice cheers

What camera do you have?

If you have an crop sensor camera the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is a fantastic lens for under $300.

You'll be amazed with its image quality (equivelent to your 80-200 f/4L), and you'll enjoy the image stabilization and of course the auto-focus.

Virtually any current EF or EF-S lens will be superior to that old FD.  If you simply just compare CA. Let alone the other specs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

i've actually not bought a DSLR yet was planning to get one over the Xmas/new year sales but sadly i had to buy a new fridge/freezer so half of the camera ,money its gone it be few more months now till i get one n thanks for your suggestion actually auto/focus is a good plus now am older

@TTMartin wrote:

@LOVE_MY_A1 wrote:

Actually todays lens still cost just as much to manufacture your forgetting the energy cost (electricity and gas) the equipment that presses and polishes the glass is literally on fire, the machinery is kept at high temperature by cooking it with flames. the reason for the constant heat is modern lens are made from boroslillicate glass which is malleable when hot and wont stick to equipment but will crystallize if it cools to quickly, even the cooling process is expensive as the temperature has be lowered gradually from 200c to room temp over a period of a week.

as for the image quality of stm lens, avoid the 18-135mm like the plague if you own a dslr body made before 2012 (vignettes, the 18mm end could be considered a fisheye, and very noticible chromatic abberation is present at all f-stops and throughout focal range) from first hand experience i can tell you they are not better than first generation L lens, STM lenses are designed to be used with dslr's that correct chromatic abberations and apply peripheral illumination correction)

if your camera has a digic4 or up and can load lens profiles to the camera via the eos ultility

Canon 1100d, Canon EF-M (manual focus film slr), Canon EOS 3, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 55-250/4.0-5.6 IS II, Tamron EF SP 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon EF 28–70/3.5–4.5 II, Canon EF
35-350/3.5-5.6L USM.

'"as for the image quality of stm lens, avoid the 18-135mm like the plague if you own a dslr body made before 2012 (vignettes, the 18mm end could be considered a fisheye, and very noticible chromatic abberation is present at all f-stops and throughout focal range) from first hand experience i can tell you they are not better than first generation L lens, STM lenses are designed to be used with dslr's that correct chromatic abberations and apply peripheral illumination correction)'

You're pretty harsh on lenses.  I think your camera just may be suffering from a back/front focus issue.  I have found the 18-135 to be an excellent all-purpose lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

+1 on TTMartin.

Don't do it unless you just like playing around with old stuff.  It is a waste of time and money so it is simply a funsey thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements