cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

85mm 1.8 color fringing/overall

Sunnybag745
Contributor

Ok so does anyone know a good amount about the 85mm. I finally actually think that I am going to buy this lens Im just worried about the color fringing that Ive seen pop up every so often. Should I be worried about this? Anything else I should know about the lens? 

Thanks, I know Ive been asking a lot recently 

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

If you are referring to the EF 85mm f1.8, I have never had any color fringing on any of the hundreds of pictures I've taken with mine.  Beautiful portrait lens. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Can you post an unedited sample?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

@Sunnybag745 wrote:

Ok so does anyone know a good amount about the 85mm. I finally actually think that I am going to buy this lens Im just worried about the color fringing that Ive seen pop up every so often. Should I be worried about this? Anything else I should know about the lens? 

Thanks, I know Ive been asking a lot recently 

I think you are referring to the chromatic aberration (purple and green along high contrast lines)?  They show up more if you shoot against the sun.  The 85mm f/1.8 does show some of that but so does most lenses.  Between automatic post processing correction (e.g. LR or PS) and normal shooting, you will be hard-pressed to see them.

The pixel peepers (the ones that look for fault when zoomed in 100% or more) are usually the ones that complain...the rest of us don't even see the fringing let alone be bothered by it.

It is a very fine lens...it's right up there with the 85mm f/1.2L II (which also got fringing).  I have both so I know.  I take the 85mm f/1.8 when I travel...it's a lot lighter and almost as capable.  Best money/performance ratio. 

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

"The pixel peepers (the ones that look for fault when zoomed in 100% or more) are usually the ones that complain...the rest of us don't even see the fringing let alone be bothered by it."

Amen! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements