cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 non IS question

Ace817
Apprentice
Hey all! This weekend I am assisting shooting a wedding my first time! The wedding is outdoors and since I'm only a year experienced I don't have the luxury of owning high quality lenses, so I am off to rent!

Unfortunately the lens rental place only has the 70-200 non IS. I already have a 50mm Prime Lens so the 70-200 will primarily be used outside in a well lit situation. I am just wondering if it will be even worth it to rent the Non IS or not. Like I said the wedding will be lit well.. And if need be I have a speed light on hand.

Ay who any insight is welcome! Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

If it's well lit, then sure, all of the Canon 70-200 are great lenses, and as a second shooter you’re usually going to want to have some reach (staying out of the primary’s way, grabbing candids, etc.)  Obviously the IS is a nice to have if shooting static subjects like a wedding, but any of those lenses are capable given proper light.

However, what do you mean by well lit?  If it’s lit by sun then sure, you’ll have no problem.  If it’s well lit by (non-photographic) lighting, then you have to remember – what is well lit for your eyes isn’t necessarily well lit for a camera.  Also remember that the longer glass needs higher shutter speeds to get crisp focus.

Are you referring to the f/2.8 or f/4 version of the lens?  Definitely take the 2.8 if they have it.  

What camera are you using?  Being able to compensate with higher ISO could be crucial if you’re shooting into dusk. 

I would keep the speedlight on hand, and get a modifier (I like a big piece of white cardboard and a bungie).  For the 70-200 you may have to move to more direct lighting, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the response! By well lit I mean the whole wedding and probably half of the reception will be outside. My camera is the T3i, it isn't the greatest but works well enough for a starter kit. And I don't know that I'll get it if they don't have the 2.8 because I've never shot with a non IS I am a bit worried lol, but if they have the 2.8 ill take it. I guess ill bring my tripod!

It totally matters on the available light.  If it's a day wedding even the f/4 would be fine (it's a fantastic lens, you just can't get thin DoF - which, if you're new to this, isn't necessarily a bad thing).  If it's a typical late-afternoon wedding that goes into the night, well, you'll be switching to the 50mm at some point, for sure.  The f/2.8 will let you keep the 70-200 on a bit longer. 

I would rent the lens a day or two early if you have the time and go shoot with is (assuming you don't have experience with it).  See how slow you can drag the shutter and still get sharp shots.  And see how high you're willing to push your ISO with that combination.  Then add in some buffer room - wedding shooting is all about high keeper rates, I don't push the limits near as much as I would with something like a portrait.  And I'd sacrifice quality and raise my ISO before I would risk it with borderline shutter speeds.

Believe it or not, at one time no lens had IS. Guess what we made great pictures anyway! I always try to buy IS lenses now but if one I wanted didn't have it, I would still get it.

I shoot quite a few weddings and my 70-200mm f2,8 is on my 7D and it sits on a tripod at the back of the ceremony. Works great and nearly the exact way you can do it.

Good luck

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If shooting primarily with a tripod, IS is turned off. Right? So, a non-IS lends should do quite well.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I only use my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS "during" the ceremony, inside, where no flash is permitted (not during the ceremony).  This is because lighting is typically extremely poor ... a typical exposure might be between ISO 3200-6400 range, f/2.8, and the shutter speed might still only be 1/60th.  So the IS helps.

Outdoors during daytime, you'll be able to use fast shutter speeds and wont need down in the range where you need IS.

If you've got good camera holding technique (see "Da Grip":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk ) and your shutter speed is at 1.6x your focal length (a little faster than 1/300ths for a 200mm focal length) then you should easily be able to hold the camera steady enough that motion blur wont be an issue.

For the rest of the event I'm typically using my 24-70mm f/2.8.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements