cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 f2.8 AF problem

mish757
Contributor

Have a canon 70-200 f2.8 non IS lens that is having AF issues.  My other zoom lens (24-70 f2.8) is not having any issues paired with my 5D Mk III body, so pretty sure it is an issue with the 70-200.  The problem is with the AF on closer subjects (approx. within 25 ft) - on more distant subjects, the AF is tack sharp, but when I try to focus on a closer subject, the AF won't lock.  The motor continues to hunt for proper focus.  Tried cleaning the contacts, but still have the problem.  Anyone else have experience with this issue.  Thought I would ask you experts before shipping the lens off for repairs.

33 REPLIES 33

Hi, I was the originator of this thread.  What you are describing sounds exactly like what I had happen with my lens.  It started out as an occasional problem that would go away for awhile.  Then one day the problem persisted.  If your problem comes back, I would guess it is probably the USM.  Good luck.

@1hiphapawrote:

I also have a non-IS 70-200 that wouldn't focus on a person about 20' away during a sunny day yesterday. The focus would 'hunt' but never lock. Using a 7D MKII and my 24-105, 10-22, 50mm all work fine. Almost sent it into the Canon repair facility, then decided to clear all camera settings, put the lens on today and now it's working fine. For now anyway. Maybe it's a sign of malfunctions to come or maybe clearing everything was the fix, hmm...

Remember that a 70-200 has a switch to change the MFD. A subject at 20 feet may be close to the higher value, so it's conceivable that the switch was in the wrong position. Note Ernie's point that the problem was likely in the lens. Clearing the camera's settings may have been a red herring unless your test subject was at the same distance as the subject was when you had the problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

switch was not in the wrong position, it did the same thing in both 1.5 & 3...ended up manually focusing. 

PicturePerfect
Apprentice
Did you end up sending in your 70 to 200 to Canon? Why I’m asking is my AF doesn’t seem to be working either. Wondering how long it takes to get it back to you? Did it have to be fixed? Thinking about sending mine in but was wondering how much they charged you? Did they clean it too?
Thank You
Announcements