cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70-200 2.8 L IS II blurry at 200mm

MBURK_GVL
Contributor

I have an issue for some time now where images I shoot at 200 mm at 2.8, 4, and to some degree 5.6 are blurry. They are not out of focus, but the images have a soft, blurry quality to them. I suspect the only way to resolve this is to send the lens in for repair, but was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and has a diagnosis. I have attached a sample image. Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.31.41 PM.png

14 REPLIES 14

" Here are three screenshots, zoomed in, showing three different apertures."

Which absolutely proves there is nothing wrong with the lens.  The problem has to be with you. In the situation with the man you do not need Ai-servo.  It probably just missed focus or as others have indicated motion blur.  Sometimes it doesn't need over thinking.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MBURK_GVL
Contributor
I was shooting at 1/800th so camera shake really wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t autofocus with the shutter button, I use back button focusing, and yes I was using AI-Servo. I will do some tests. From my recollection, it seems this only happens at 200mm. I looked at a series of several images of this moment and they all had the same blurry quality. I say that I am fairly confident the focus is not off only because I have never been able to see a different point in the image that appears to be sharper or more in focus in images that exhibit this quality.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Download Canon DPP software from the Canon site and check where the focus point is on your images.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Kaylyn1111
Apprentice

Hello there! 

Did you find out what needed fixed?  Camera and/or Lens? 

I am having similar issues as you described.  It's been hard to explain that it's an intermitten issue, doesn't happen every shot, and that I know it's not user error...although I was hoping it was me, as it would be MUCH easier and cheaper to fix my brain than continue to do tests that don't explain the issue.  *deep breath*

I've done tests on tripod, 100iso, different bodies, different lenses, etc.  Nothing seems to show me the reason for the intermitten blurry images I see on my monitor when home from a shoot(outdoor senior sessions).  

I just want to know if I should send in my lens...or if my camera(new 7 months ago) needs to be sent back.  I MISS MY LOCAL CAMERA STORE SOOOO MUCH!! 

Body is 6dii and lens that i use for senior sessions is 70-200 2.8 L USM   Shutter speeds/settings are fast enough that there should not be this blurring problem. I guess I need to find myself a test subject and go out to test withOUT having camera on tripod.  Urgh...this is super hard to explain... again, I WISH it was user error.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for sharing your experience/outcome with what sounds like a very very similar issue!!

*HUGS*

Hi kaylyn. Welcome to the fporum.

Can you post one or two problem images to DropBox or OneDrive with a link here so we can see what you are seeing?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements