Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: 70-200 2.8 L IS II blurry at 200mm

Download Canon DPP software from the Canon site and check where the focus point is on your images.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

@MBURK_GVL wrote:

What is really confounding is that there are some situations where the images are perfectly sharp. Here are three screenshots, zoomed in, showing three different apertures. 

Screenshots are not really helpful in evaluating the IQ of images.  

I see that you are using AI Servo focusing.  Which AF point(s) are you using?  

What drive mode are you using, One Shot or Continuous?  If you are using Continuous Drive, then what are your 1st and 2nd Image priority settings?  This last is crucial, because they control whether or not the camera can fire the shutter before it can lock focus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
VIP

" Here are three screenshots, zoomed in, showing three different apertures."

Which absolutely proves there is nothing wrong with the lens.  The problem has to be with you. In the situation with the man you do not need Ai-servo.  It probably just missed focus or as others have indicated motion blur.  Sometimes it doesn't need over thinking.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!